+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technics SL xxxx TT's

I'm Chris.

Default Technics SL xxxx TT's

Thinking of (re)dipping my toes into the world of Technics SL turntables. Quite a few floating about at the moment.

I've owned lots of 1210's in my "youth" and wouldn't shy away from getting another and modding it into a quality domestic deck.
    However seeing as a lot of the parts are the same between the 1200 series and above I'm thinking similar/higher performance can be had for much less money.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 1500/1600/1700's but not sure which models offer best bang for buck as it were.
    I've heard most of the mk2 versions of these decks are better, again not quite sure.
    I haven't actually heard any of these decks so I'm going purely on reputation so far.

Any help or recommendations much appreciated. Looking to spend far less than good condition 1210 money.

Cheers,

Chris
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Adam.

Although the SL-1700/1800/1900 range are very good, you're correct that the 1300/1400/1500/1600 are the ones to go for, depending on what level of automation you fancy. It is also true that the Mk2s are better - they look a bit nicer but have changes to their plinths that improve isolation (plus a nice wood trim). However, more importantly than that, they are Quartz Locked and not just servo controlled.

So, the motors are good, the bases are good, the arms are good - you really can't go wrong! Just make sure that the cueing system works if you look at any of these, as they have a well known problem with a plastic bracket that can fail due to fatigue after a number of years and render the cueing inoperative. This is a minor annoyance with a manual model but a potential record-scratching disaster with one of the autos.

Repairs can be made to the brackets, or a drawing of the item is available somewhere so you can 3D print a new one. That said, it's a sod of a job to replace and requires the arm to be removed and the auto mechanism to be stripped down. Not difficult but, equally, not for the faint-hearted.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dave.

To my eyes, the nicest looking of the lot is the superb SL110. I have one here with the wood arm mount and an SME 3009 II. Beautiful.

I'm Chris.

Thanks for that Adam,

exactly the info I was after.

Regarding automation I'm not bothered either way but taking into account what you mention it sounds like it might be best without if some of the functions are fragile.

I'm seriously digging the red LED displays on the them Is that a mk2 thing? Nice solid silver lip platter looks cool too.

Now to find one for sensible money . . .
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    To my eyes, the nicest looking of the lot is the superb SL110. I have one here with the wood arm mount and an SME 3009 II. Beautiful.
    Agreed, one of the prettiest out there along with some offerings from JVC QL range and top end Pioneer PL's also.

Bet it looks the absolute knackers.

The aesthetics are becoming more important to me I have to admit. I know other members have some absolute beauts too!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    offerings from JVC QL range and top end Pioneer PL's also. !
    Wouldn't rule anything like this out to be fair but the Technics seem to be slightly cheaper on the whole.

Man I love wooden plinth'd direct drive TT's . . . . lol

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Regarding automation I'm not bothered either way but taking into account what you mention it sounds like it might be best without if some of the functions are fragile.

I'm seriously digging the red LED displays on the them Is that a mk2 thing? Nice solid silver lip platter looks cool too.

Now to find one for sensible money . . .
    The cueing issue affects all models, including the manual SL1500, so an auto isn’t necessarily a worse proposition - if you see one that works OK, don’t be put off.

I forgot about the digital displays! And yes, these are also Mk2 only.

As to the SL-110 I do have a soft spot for it and it is a lovely and iconic looking thing. Trouble is, it has a fairly basic non quartz-locked motor and the funky looking plinth is a pretty resonant thing so, unfortunately, its performance is limited by these factors.

Personally, in your shoes, I’d be looking out for a fully auto SL1600 Mk2, but that’s just me!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Graham.

My understanding is the cueing problem only affects the mk2, which has a different design lifter to the mk1. I agree the mk2 looks ace, however the groovy red digital display can give problems and will be near impossible to fix, there was one recently for sale with missing segments.

I have worked on the mk1 150/1500 and it is a simple durable design that is easy to maintain. The auto mech on the 1300 is pretty intricate, and although it works well it introduces a whole extra degree of complexity. The one thing to consider with any 1300/1400/1500 is that the caps on the main PCB will need replacing. This will solve the speed control problems most have after 40 years. Once fixed, the mk1 servo circuit gives very little away to the quartz locked mk2 in terms of stability. IMO, the main weak point of the mk1 is the non isolated base, compared to the suspended chassis of the mk2. The Mk 1 fits on rubber feet (which will have perished) on a simple ABS base so decent isolation is a must. I replaced the original feet with sorbothane hemispheres which works well.

If you want an auto, I can highly recommended the SL-Q303 / Q202 which has a simpler smoother auto mech and quartz lock. It has a cast chassis, composite base and reasonable isolation. It doesn't have the cueing arm weakness of the 1300/1400/1500 Mk 2. It is a lovely deck that is very cheap to buy. Probably the last proper automatic technics built to old school standards. I restored one of these for my parents and its a good nofuss deck with perfect speed stability and sounds good with an AT 440Mla cart.

Another option is the SL-150 where you can add your own arm. Many were originally sold with SME 3009s many of which have been removed and sold separately. The available space in the 150 has its challenges with some arms (as I have found out!) so if you are interested in knowing more, drop me a pm and I will send you a link to a 150 mk 1 restoration which was fitted with a Rega and also a Micro Seiki arm. If you want to hear the same 150 Mk1 with a Micro Seiki arm and also a stock SL-1510 then I am not far from you in Surrey, so please drop me a pm.

All the best,

Graham
    Last edited by graham67; 21-08-2019 at 23:12.

I'm Graham.

Above posted edited. I reread Adams post and it confirms the cueing problem affects the mk2 only. Apologies to Adam for my misreading, i didnt have the correct glasses �� on �� !!

I'm Chris.

Thanks for the replies all.

As I had hoped a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm plus a willingness to share it, top guys.

Will be continuing my search with the advice in mind.

Graham, that's a kind offer, will send you a PM.

Cheers,

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast