+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-BREXIT Panic Buying?

I'm Lawrence.

The thing I find surprising is that so many liberal minded people who a few years ago were the loudest advocates of democracy, including forcing it on countries that didn't have it, by military means if necessary, suddenly think it's the worst thing in the world that the people of Britain were given the choice to express their opinion democratically.

One wonders if this is related to the fact that the answer the British people gave does not tie in with their opinion of how the world should be.

The corollary of this is that they do not support democracy at all, just the enforced imposition of their minority views, with a preference for giving it the air of democracy at times when the majority can be persuaded to support it.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm joe.

'Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it, good and hard'. H L Mencken

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    The thing I find surprising is that so many liberal minded people who a few years ago were the loudest advocates of democracy, including forcing it on countries that didn't have it, by military means if necessary, suddenly think it's the worst thing in the world that the people of Britain were given the choice to express their opinion democratically.

One wonders if this is related to the fact that the answer the British people gave does not tie in with their opinion of how the world should be.

The corollary of this is that they do not support democracy at all, just the enforced imposition of their minority views, with a preference for giving it the air of democracy at times when the majority can be persuaded to support it.

+1

Democracy is, indeed, the issue now. Brexit was an argument that for me was finely balanced, I could easily see arguments for and against. There are advantages in going alone (especially as we haven't really fitted in with the direction of travel pretty much since the birth of the Euro and our opt out from it), and obviously quite a few potential disadvantages and risks such as threats to markets and potential supply chain disruption, as well as down sides around freedom of movement (for Brits seeking to work and study in the EU). Realistically, neither option was painless as 'ever closer union' is becoming a reality with little ability to influence the direction of travel due to the changes introduced in the Nice Treaty which limited the possibility to veto new measures, as well as the growing power of the commission in controlling the agenda, with a consequent weakening of the political control of the Council of Ministers (which with 28 members has become too fragmented to provide proper leadership). There was no 'status quo' option, something a lot remain-minded people don't really grasp.

Anyway, once we had the vote there was only one clear course of action and that was to fulfill the mandate and leave, and leave properly at that. A halfway fudge would be the worst of both worlds (as indeed TM's Withdrawal Agreement proved)..

Like most people I anticipated a friendly parting and a win-win negotiation based on the economics. Negotiating multi-£m business deals is my job, and win win is always the desired outcome.

Not so here it seems. The EU has taken Brexit an existential threat and behaved accordingly - indeed it has behaved utterly disgracefully. I would never have expected to say this (good European that I continue to consider myself to be) but if this is how the club behaves, then we are well out of it. Thankfully Europe and the EU are not the same thing (however much some people pretend this is the case).

This sums up the attitude of the people Lawrence was talking about:

Last edited by montesquieu; 21-08-2019 at 21:21.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I won't be doing any "panic buying"...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Me neither. I've got enough wine in stock to remain drunk until the worst is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Me neither. I've got enough wine in stock to remain drunk until the worst is over.
    Exactly Joe....
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    +1

Like most people I anticipated a friendly parting and a win-win negotiation based on the economics.

Not so here it seems. The EU has taken Brexit an existential threat and behaved accordingly - indeed it has behaved utterly disgracefully.
    With respect Tom, the EU was never going to roll over and be shafted whilst the UK did their “tough stance/hard brexit” negotiations that we were all promised.

The EU held all the aces , and were never going to give the Uk all that the Tories wanted/promised.

If someone wants to leave something and spit the dummy out, they cant expect to leave getting everything they want. It was never going to happen and this current farce was entirely predictable.

As was the EU stance. It is not disgraceful. They have to look to themselves and that is totally understandable.

Why should they give us all we want and what right do we have to demand it ?

All just my opinion, of course !!!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    We're not exactly panic buying but we are cognisant of the need for my wife's anti-cancer medication. Is this unreasonable? It's not manufactured in the UK.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Geoff.

Don't forget, if you want to stock up, grated cheese can be frozen. Cheese block does not freeze well.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    We're not exactly panic buying but we are cognisant of the need for my wife's anti-cancer medication. Is this unreasonable? It's not manufactured in the UK.
    Good point Clive... I'll make sure Colin has enough of his trial drug
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast