+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pre-BREXIT Panic Buying?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    With respect Tom, the EU was never going to roll over and be shafted whilst the UK did their “tough stance/hard brexit” negotiations that we were all promised.

The EU held all the aces , and were never going to give the Uk all that the Tories wanted/promised.

If someone wants to leave something and spit the dummy out, they cant expect to leave getting everything they want. It was never going to happen and this current farce was entirely predictable.

As was the EU stance. It is not disgraceful. They have to look to themselves and that is totally understandable.

Why should they give us all we want and what right do we have to demand it ?

All just my opinion, of course !!!
    Disagree entirely. No-one wanted to shaft the EU, only to reach a win-win position on the basis of the economic fundamentals. it was the EU that decided to shaft the UK, for political reasons. However I'm sure they couldn't believe their luck when Theresa May and Olly Robbins meekly accepted every premise around sequencing, gave in over the backstop (something that even the Irish government prior to the chancer Varadkar's arrival were working towards in terms of a technological fix) and at the same time also concede the central point over the budget.

We held a few aces too, but we tossed them away thanks to Theresa May. (With recent assistance from Quislings like Dominic Grieve who are actively working to undermine the UK negotiating stance). The UK is the world's fifth largest economy. The UK is 12% of the EU population and has been paying 25% of the net contributions. France makes no net contributions, being a net recipient under the Common Agricultural policy). We provide the backbone of the security and intelligence capability, and provide the only financial centre worth speaking of (Paris and Frankfurt are tiny by comparison, about 10% the size). The UK provides the bulk of Euro financing for all EU Governments. Worldwide we have a seat on the UN security council and are the only NATO member apart from Poland meeting the 2% target of GDP for defence.

This is not a country that should accept being pushed around. The backstop is an almost unique example of an international treaty without an exit clause. The EU knows this and forcing it on us is an attempt to humiliate us. We have to send them packing, for our own self-respect. Leavers and Remainers should be united on this.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    guess ive a fair bit in cans and dried food, plus a freezer full of stuff so although it may not be nice i will likely survive. I am getting in bog paper tho, although Im told most of it, like Andrex is made in UK.
    Sure america and far east will fill the void
    Similarly - though I’m afraid a freezer full will be no good if things go really bad and the power goes down.

By chance we have a lot of bottles of wine, and whisky, so if necessary we could live on them for quite a long while, though in a sort of alcoholic haze. In moderation they would supply enough calories to keep us alive. I have one elderly relative who seems to have survived on alcohol for quite a while now - measured in years, not days, and shows no really strong signs of detriment or dementia.
    Dave

I'm Lawrence.

With respect Tom, the EU was never going to roll over and be shafted whilst the UK did their “tough stance/hard brexit” negotiations that we were all promised.

The EU held all the aces , and were never going to give the Uk all that the Tories wanted/promised.

If someone wants to leave something and spit the dummy out, they cant expect to leave getting everything they want. It was never going to happen and this current farce was entirely predictable.

As was the EU stance. It is not disgraceful. They have to look to themselves and that is totally understandable.

Could you expand on what spitting the dummy out involves? Article 50 is a legal measure put in place at the creation of the EU to recognise that the majority of a nation state (who choose to express a preference) may, at some point in the future, wish to leave the union. Invoking this law in itself is obviously not spitting any dummies out, it's using the legal measure agreed at the time to make a democratic choice.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that I've noticed a lot of remain politicians using highly emotive language (eg. bo**ocks to Brexit) whereas the more mainstream leave politicians seem to avoid such language and seek a more matter of fact discussion of the issues at stake (post the referendum campaign at least).

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

And tinned potatoes are worth keeping too. They are quite versatile, can be used in salads as well as hot meals, they are also pretty nice cut in half and deep fried.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    And tinned potatoes are worth keeping too. They are quite versatile, can be used in salads as well as hot meals, they are also pretty nice cut in half and deep fried.
    i used to use them in soup geoff... aldi used to do big cans for pennies. same with carrots
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Could you expand on what spitting the dummy out involves?
    It's detailed in clause three, sub-section six of the additional miscellaneous provisions, in the 1998 addendum to the temporary classifications of ruled items.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Im of the opinion its better to be in the circle spitting out than out spitting in. But thats just me...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    The thing I find surprising is that so many liberal minded people who a few years ago were the loudest advocates of democracy, including forcing it on countries that didn't have it, by military means if necessary, suddenly think it's the worst thing in the world that the people of Britain were given the choice to express their opinion democratically.

One wonders if this is related to the fact that the answer the British people gave does not tie in with their opinion of how the world should be.

The corollary of this is that they do not support democracy at all, just the enforced imposition of their minority views, with a preference for giving it the air of democracy at times when the majority can be persuaded to support it.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Spot on.

Bigman80 Guest

The EU fat cats Know that Italy, Spain and Greece want out, as well as the Netherlands. Their behaviour has been as such to deter those nations from seeking an exit.

It's intimidation and I can't wait to leave, hard Brexit if we have to, I don't care.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The EU fat cats Know that Italy, Spain and Greece want out, as well as the Netherlands. Their behaviour has been as such to deter those nations from seeking an exit.

It's intimidation and I can't wait to leave, hard Brexit if we have to, I don't care.
    Quite right, let's show them that there is life outside of the EU Any potential shortages in supply of food, drugs and other resources will hopefully be met by non-EU countries, who I'm sure will already be preparing for it themselves.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast