+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic record cleaning anyone tried this idea

I'm Phil.

Default Ultrasonic record cleaning anyone tried this idea

I have made a few record cleaning machines but im convinced that sucking fluid from the record causes static and ive never had great results , ive got
    clean looking records that crackle . so does the ultrasonic cleaning remove the muck , and why not fast spin the record dry . phil.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/record-cl...wAAOSwPHZdUS1s
    Phil.

I'm mark.

I've got a Velvet Vortex and think its one of the best upgrades my vinyl rig has had, so yes I use one.
    I come from 2 bath Knosti and not used vacuum.

The advert on ebay is just the motor, you'll have to add the bath.

I'm Deleted.

If the ‘clean’ records crackle it is the cleaning process lifting crap to the surface or actively adding it from a dirty solution. I say this because I have played many statically charged records and they do not crackle - static doesn’t do anything like that through a stylus; try discharging a static discharge gun directly over a cartridge - it doesn’t do anything.
    Account Deleted

I'm Bernard.

My Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

montesquieu Guest

Mine - it's superb (old pic, not beta version any more indeed the latest firmware release for the full production version that I have now has all sorts of new features):

https://degritter.com/
    https://theaudiophileman.com/degritt...aning-machine/

I'm Phil.

Amazon do the 6l ultrasonic for £86.00 . 2 large aluminium washers on the lathe with o ring seals . 6mm thread in the middle . 12v motor with a pot so
    to alter the speed . and a hinge type bracket that drops the record into the solution spin at 2mph whilst cleaning , then lift up and out the record , spray
    clean solution from a squibber down each side , then spin faster to throw off the solution , hopefully no static .

ive even used hot steam and that don't work , just don't want to waste the money on the ultrasonic cleaner but I suppose it would come in useful for other things around the house .

I found a charity shop record of Sammy Davies junior on the steamboat label one side of the record Sammy sings like frankie laine Satchmo and Mario lanza also takes off frank Sinatra its well recorded looks a very clean example but its got a lot of crackles im hoping this ultrasonic cleaner will get these record sounding quiet . Sammy was some singer . anyway thanks for all your help and advice cheers phil.
    Phil.

I'm Rob.

I've got a Nitty Gritty vacuum cleaner which is the best cleaning solution I've tried (Knosti and Record Doctor - V previously). However, I actually think the one change I've made that makes the biggest difference is using good record liners. I use Mofi Master Record Inner Sleeve, and since I started using those my static problems have gone away, and my records get much less dirty in day to day use. So Nitty Gritty clean on initial purchase (Second hand always - New sometimes), replace the sleeve with mofi ones, and that seems to ensure my records stay clean for normal use.

For those interested in the difference between the cleaning achieved with the Record Doctor V, and the Nitty Gritty - the answer is I don't think there was much to choose between the Record Doctor V when new and the Nitty Gritty which I brought Second hand. The difference came with use. The efficiency of the Record Doctor dropped over time. After about a year of use it became very ineffective. The problem is that there isn't an easy way to replace the filters (the initial one immediately below the slot is glued into the tube housing it), and they gradually get clogged up. I was going to experiment with replacing the filters when the Nitty Gritty became available (on this forum) and I knabbed that as too good a bargain to miss (and I'm very glad I did because it a breeze to use and does a really good job).
    Rob.