+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Benesch speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Rooms can have a big effect but they don't produce harshness or sibiliance. I'd give another speaker cable a go, QED speaker cables are all weird in some way or another apart from the original 79 strand. It's also a lot cheaper than changing speakers.
    In what ways do rooms affect the sound then?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

IME when certain brands/models come with a signature sound it rings true. I tried Spendor monitors and floorstanders and couldn't get over how lifeless the sound was, with very little body at all. Likewise Royd Minstrels were a joke. The best experience I've had so far with brands has been Quad, the 306 and 909, and also Epos -the ES11.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    In what ways do rooms affect the sound then?
    http://darkroommastering.com/blog/ro...und-treatment/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Thanks, I think a problem with my listening room is that its split in two, kitchen and lounge. I rent, but I'm considering moving just to have more options hifi wise. I'm in a flat now, the good thing is never get complaints from neighbours about playing music, bad thing is well documented in this forum, awful room acoustics!!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Having had QED XT40 SCs, I would say that they are the main culprit for your harsh treble, VD 4mm hifi series would be much better, or possibly some Audioquest Indigo or Jade.
    If the Actors your looking at are the ones on wigwam, then Chris (GLB) would be more than happy for you to go for an audition, and in all likely hood let you have them to listen in your room.
    I had them here a couple of weeks back for the playroom at by BO, and they're definitely not bright.
    Is this the Van damme stuff you mean? I saw the thread on the Wam comparing it to QED.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme...UAAOSwRQlXclf8

I'm matt.

I found the Van damme blue a bit soft sounding.
    Although I haven't heard it, I'd try hifi series that's in the eBay link. You could always send it back if you're not happy.

I'm Lawrence.

Had some VD hifi in my system a few weeks and not looked back. I'm sure other cables will have a bit more of this or a bit less of that, but it sounds just fine to me.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have use Van Damme 4mm2 Blue as well as the 6mm2 cable with clear outer insulation. Both are fine, as is IMO the original QED 79 strand cable, but I have to say that in all cases the cable lengths I use are 1 metre or less through using monoblock power amps located directly behind each speaker.

I have also used Fisual 'Hollywood' cable, but wouldn't recommend it as it is a PITA to work with, with (to my ears) no obvious benefit.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

I'll give the VD a try then, quite cheap anyway.

I'm Mike.

The VD certainly makes a difference, the edge has gone off screechy rock records, but so has some insight, and clarity. Early days but overall more listenable I think, yet still my speakers emit a nasally sound. I'll give it a week then switch back to the QED and see which I prefer, or whether I need to change something else, can't help thinking overall my system sounds rather flat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast