+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Benesch speakers

I'm John.

Having had QED XT40 SCs, I would say that they are the main culprit for your harsh treble, VD 4mm hifi series would be much better, or possibly some Audioquest Indigo or Jade.
    If the Actors your looking at are the ones on wigwam, then Chris (GLB) would be more than happy for you to go for an audition, and in all likely hood let you have them to listen in your room.
    I had them here a couple of weeks back for the playroom at by BO, and they're definitely not bright.

I'm Tony.

IMHO the ARC's are the best speakers WB made paired with a good fast tight sub a greats set up.

Having had many pairs pass through over the years including owning the Bishops (lol) they are over priced and under perform.

Last year we had a pair of £25K Actors?? with the fancy tweeters etc. Never have I been so disappointed in a so called high end speaker, it was totally humiliated by a pair of stand mounts at under half the price. YMMV
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    IMHO the ARC's are the best speakers WB made paired with a good fast tight sub a greats set up.

Having had many pairs pass through over the years including owning the Bishops (lol) they are over priced and under perform.

Last year we had a pair of £25K Actors?? with the fancy tweeters etc. Never have I been so disappointed in a so called high end speaker, it was totally humiliated by a pair of stand mounts at under half the price. YMMV
    Vectors are also good, but whether double the price against ARC's with a good sub is questionable, the manufacturer of my previous Mono block 300B's used ARC's to demo them so must say something about them.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    The most obvious answer............go listen
    There is a pair for sale in your area. Take your source and your I/C and go and listen
    I've a feeling its my listening room that is producing the problems.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Having had QED XT40 SCs, I would say that they are the main culprit for your harsh treble, VD 4mm hifi series would be much better, or possibly some Audioquest Indigo or Jade.
    If the Actors your looking at are the ones on wigwam, then Chris (GLB) would be more than happy for you to go for an audition, and in all likely hood let you have them to listen in your room.
    I had them here a couple of weeks back for the playroom at by BO, and they're definitely not bright.
    Funny innit, somebody recommended the QED to tame brightness!!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Hi John, I might ask him nicely then.

I'm Frank.

I had a pair of Arc standmounts for a while.

I did feel the tonal balance was a little tipped towards the higher frequencies, but I wouldn't say they were bright.

I found them a little clinical and cold, however. Extremely detailed, but a little mechanical sounding if that makes sense.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I've a feeling its my listening room that is producing the problems.
    Rooms can have a big effect but they don't produce harshness or sibiliance. I'd give another speaker cable a go, QED speaker cables are all weird in some way or another apart from the original 79 strand. It's also a lot cheaper than changing speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

As others have said, I'd look at replacing the cables. Flashback rca cables sound neutral to me. I use Talk cable 3.1 speaker cable because it's cheap and does the job. I've tried a few audiophile cables in the past and they all seemed to add something, but not in a good way. I'm sure there are some good ones but it seems silly to spend lots of money on a cable when your equipment is full of inductors, voice coils and circuit board tracks that are just bog standard copper.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Rooms can have a big effect but they don't produce harshness or sibiliance. I'd give another speaker cable a go, QED speaker cables are all weird in some way or another apart from the original 79 strand. It's also a lot cheaper than changing speakers.
    Ive had three or four of the QEDs over the years amongst other cables.

The Silver Spiral being the best by far and not 'weird' in anyway, far from it
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast