+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Benesch speakers

I'm Mike.

Default Wilson Benesch speakers

Been looking at a pair of WB Actors, floor standing speakers. Is there a general style to the WB sound? I find speakers can make some of the biggest differences to a hifi set up. I tried Spendors twice and hated them, the soundstage was small, music had no 'body', that was monitors and floorstanders so the sound signature clearly cuts across all ranges. Don't wanna make the same mistake again. Currently use Chario Syntars, but while I like them and the downward firing bass port suits my room, I wonder what a bigger more expensive speaker would do for my set up. At the same time I don't want to excite the harsh high frequencies my listening rooms acoustics seem to possess.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Dave.

WB are bright. Highlighting information by accentuating the HF. IMO of course.

I'm Josie.

They can be bright. I agree. Very good overall though.

I had some The Arc speakers once. They sounded really good and I loved them.

Best amp I ran with them was a Densen.

So, they are great but synergy is paramount.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mike.

Thanks, I heard they were bright, best avoided may'be.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Josie.

I wouldn't say avoid. They are very nice speakers, expensive though.

Like all speakers you need to match them properly with whats on the other end.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I wouldn't say avoid. They are very nice speakers, expensive though.

Like all speakers you need to match them properly with whats on the other end.
    Well, my amps are Quad 909 + Croft 25, so quite suitable I'd guess, thing is even with those amps and my current speakers - Chario Syntar, my set up still produces quite unpleasant sibilance in the higher frequencies, I just think my listening rooms acoustics is pants and there's nowt I can do about it.

I'm Phil.

I was listening to the wb actors recently with a valve pre and ss/hybrid amps. Not at all bright in this set up. Very gentle really and non fatiguing
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Adrian.

Mike, I had a pair of WB ARCs, they were lovely not what I would call bright, but very accurate, if you put a bad signal/recording in them then that is what you got. I used them with 300b SET amp. I should have kept them but moved them on to upgrade other parts. The Actors are an older design and may be more forgiving however I have seen a review saying they sound great but downside is very unforgiving of bad CD or Vinyl. So be prepared to hear what you put on warts and all.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Well, my amps are Quad 909 + Croft 25, so quite suitable I'd guess, thing is even with those amps and my current speakers - Chario Syntar, my set up still produces quite unpleasant sibilance in the higher frequencies, I just think my listening rooms acoustics is pants and there's nowt I can do about it.
    If the very mellow Syntars produce "unpleasant sibilance", there is something else going on.

I'm Martin.

The most obvious answer............go listen
    There is a pair for sale in your area. Take your source and your I/C and go and listen
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast