+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HEEEELLLLPPPP!! Croft mono problem

I'm Alan.

See if you can follow the wires from pins 4 and 5 on the valve base to where they come from at the power supply end.
    The smaller transformer is almost certainly the one providing the heater supply, there should be a low voltage somewhere between 6 and 16V (depending if there is a regulator chip used) on one of the large horizontal capacitors between the two transformers.

If you are not confident about measuring voltages then take it to your local EE, there are high voltages present as well.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    See if you can follow the wires from pins 4 and 5 on the valve base to where they come from at the power supply end.
    The smaller transformer is almost certainly the one providing the heater supply, there should be a low voltage somewhere between 6 and 16V (depending if there is a regulator chip used) on one of the large horizontal capacitors between the two transformers.

If you are not confident about measuring voltages then take it to your local EE, there are high voltages present as well.
    Thanks Alan, ive spoken with an EE today who said he can look at it in 3 weeks. Hes the local Audio research and Macintosh service guy so he knows his stuff. He also told me to turn it off and leave it be as there are lethal voltages inside so i think i may leave it to the pro’s on this one. I like my music (and life) to much to be found dead , with an old valve and screwdriver in my hands Was hoping it would be a simple in and out jobby i could solder myself but i dont fancy getting a serious shock or effing up a bloody good amp. Will just have to be patient on this one and maybe Glenn will reply this time with some more insight.

Thanks for taking the time to reply matey

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Alan.

OK, keep us updated as to what the fault is, for future reference.

I'm Karl.

OK, keep us updated as to what the fault is, for future reference.
    Will do buddy. Cheers

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Default HEEEELLLLPPPP!! Croft mono problem

Glenn has now been in contact to let me know that he also thinks its the heater supply that feeds the valve and relay board.

Just need to wait for the repair quotes now and work out the most cost effective route to take.

Last edited by Bigbird; 23-08-2019 at 12:03.

I'm Karl.

The amp is now back from the dead after a painfully long wait.

The culprit was a 12v regulator that heats the filament.

Right off the bat the sound is in a different stratosphere to the Rega brio that was on standby. Man id almost forgot how bloody good it is,its been so long. Its like having a new amp all over again. Time to nerd out in my chair

I'm Alan.

Excellent news Karl

I'm Karl.

Excellent news Karl
    Thanks for your help Alan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12