Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club reborn

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Album Club reborn

The Album Club

The Album Club has taken a bit of a holiday of late, for reasons described below. But by popular demand, I’m pleased to say it will start again at the beginning of September.

For those of you who don’t know about the Album Club, the idea is very simple. Each month a Member will suggest a title, write a few words about why it has been chosen, and provide a link to either YouTube or Spotify so other Members can listen to it and comment on the chosen title.

When the Album Club was started by our good friend Alex_UK, there was a great deal of interest, with comments and feedback often running to several pages. Alex took a long ‘sabbatical’ from the Forum and another Moderator looked after the Album Club, and then I took over running the Club. However, for the last year or so, interest in the Club has waned significantly; often with as little as only a couple of replies. This was dispiriting to those Members who had gone to the trouble of making submissions and providing an interesting insight into why they have made their choice.

So I put the Album Club on pause, whilst I had a think about what could be done to encourage more participation. This is what I have decided to do:

[1] The Album Club choice will be remain active for one month; thereafter the thread will be locked.

[2] All respondents will be asked to vote on the choice, on a scale of 1 to 10. At the end of the month the votes will added up to provide a score for that month’s Album Club choice.

[3] This process will be applied to the next month’s choice and so on for all the subsequent Album Club submissions, so at the end (hopefully September 2020), the Member who has achieved the highest score with their Album Club submission will be rewarded with a prize – an audiophile recording of their choice.

For those Members taking part, this is what you have to do:

[1] Choose a title

[2] Provide an image of the cover artwork. You can usually get this from Discogs or Amazon, and if available, provide a link to Wikipedia.

[3] Write a few words (though it can as lengthy or not as you see fit) as to why you have chosen it, why you like it – mentioning any stand out tracks if appropriate.

[4] Provide a link to either YouTube or Spotify, so other Members can listen to your choice, and comment/vote on it.

The whole point of the Album Club is to introduce to Members music that may be new to them or have maybe passed them by. So be bold and imaginative. Your choice can be anything you like: Classical, Blues, Jazz, Pop, Rock or any other ‘genre’. Don’t be afraid that you submission will not be well received – some may not be impressed, but it is just as likely that others will find you choice enjoyable; hence the idea of voting.

So what I need from you, in the first instance, is a list of names of say 10 to 12 Members who are willing to participate. To get the ball rolling, I will make the first submission, and then others will follow in order of notification. Each participant will be given a month’s notice to prepare his/her submission, with a reminder after two weeks. If you find yourself unable to make a submission (due say to family matters, holidays, or ill health), please let me know ASAP, so I can make alternative arrangements.

That’s it – if you would like to participate, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks
    The Album Club
    Last edited by Barry; 20-08-2019 at 16:59. Reason: Grammar
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Jolly Good.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

Count me in Barry, glad AC is back.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Adrian.

Hi Barry, Please add me to the list, always willing to have a listen.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Excellent news. Thanks.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Deleted.

I am willing to take part.
    Account Deleted

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well, clearly I’m in! Would be nice to see some good support from the forum members - I for one discovered some amazing albums over the years and some are now firm favourites - music I would probably never heard had it not been for Album Club.

We used to do it weekly, but with it now being a monthly event most people should be able to find the time to listen and post a few words?

So I hope everyone will embrace and enjoy Album Club, rebooted.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Im in already discovered loads of new artists on here thanks to the whats spinning threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

I've checked the lists and I've already picked my offering....

Can we try linking this thread to the what's spinning today threads to try to drum up some interest ??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Count me in too Barry, sounds like a great way to share music.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast