+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Review’ of three Zavfino arm cables

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    Could you tell me if the mahone is fully shielded, ie the tails
    I presume so - it would not work as a tonearm cable without full screening to prevent hum, and these cables patently do not pick up hum. See the description at https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product...tonearm-cable/ which state "Cores are tightly twisted followed by a mylar/copper drain for excellent EMI/RFI rejection" and that's clarified in the specifications as "Shield: Aluminum mylar with silver coated copper tight pitch spiral"

I'm jamie.

Thanks for confirming
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I did undo one of the RCA plugs and you can’t see anything as the end is very neatly covered by a small length of heat-shrink. I don’t get any hum or noise though and it’s at least as good as the Mogami.
    Agreed in my experience with the Highlands this is a very quiet cable.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I presume so - it would not work as a tonearm cable without full screening to prevent hum, and these cables patently do not pick up hum. See the description at https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product...tonearm-cable/ which state "Cores are tightly twisted followed by a mylar/copper drain for excellent EMI/RFI rejection" and that's clarified in the specifications as "Shield: Aluminum mylar with silver coated copper tight pitch spiral"
    Sorry to disagree but its highly unlikely to be shielded at the tail ends.

It's also not absolutely necessary that it is shielded and will work fine without the shield over the tails.

I'm jamie.

i think it is mate,sorry to disagree,i bought one (i wont say who from) with the tails not sheilded,i was getting hum.i made my own and sheilded the tails and guess what,no hum. in my opinion a tonearm cable has to have very good sheilding from top to bottom,the signal is tiny so any unwanted noise needs to be kept out.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

i think it is mate,sorry to disagree,i bought one (i wont say who from) with the tails not sheilded,i was getting hum.i made my own and sheilded the tails and guess what,no hum. in my opinion a tonearm cable has to have very good sheilding from top to bottom,the signal is tiny so any unwanted noise needs to be kept out.
    Did you get hum off the one you bought from me?

I've sold a lot of my tonearm cables and they aren't shielded at the tail end.

Only one person said they had hum they couldn't get rid of and when we investigated it, it was that he didn't have the ground connection due to the phonostage he was using being powered from a wall wart. We tried the arm cable to a separate ground and it worked perfectly. No hum.

I've used my arm cable here for months on end with zero hum. So no, it's not an absolute must.

I'm jamie.

yes it was your one,i first thought it was coming from the paradise being close to my amp because if i pulled the paradise out and at an angle it got less. when i made up my cable i sheilded the tails and got no hum,thus in my system i need a turntable cable fully shielded which is why i asked the original question.i think its good practise to shield the tails regardless.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

yes it was your one,i first thought it was coming from the paradise being close to my amp because if i pulled the paradise out and at an angle it got less. when i made up my cable i sheilded the tails and got no hum,thus in my system i need a turntable cable fully shielded which is why i asked the original question.i think its good practise to shield the tails regardless.
    You're doing well this week Jamie, you've managed to shit on my cables twice lol

The answer as usual is that the way things behave in people's systems can be totally unique to that system.

I can't get a silent SUT in my house yet have absolutely zero hum when one isn't connected.

Was the cable humming prior to the installation of the Paradise? I'd suspect you'd have said if it was.

"best practice" doesn't really come In to it. Adding shielding (when it isn't necessary) alters the characteristic of the cable and affects the sound. I prefer the sound of unshileded cables but If *you* require shielding, fair enough but as I said, myself and many others haven't had any issue at all.

I'm jamie.

you asked me if it was yours that i was using,i answered your question,so im sorry if you think thats shitting on your cables.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Adrian.

A very good and interesting review Mark. I was recently talking with Hugo re arm cables and may just have to try out one of these.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast