+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making an Airport Express better?

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Codifus View Post
    100 BaseT ethernet.

CD
    Do you still get slight lag with it cabled?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I bought the airport express as a quick, easy way to stream iTunes to my hifi. However, if I bought a DAC, what is the best way to connect it up?

Should I connect it to the AE via a toslink? (I can always use the AE somewhere else)
    Or go straight from the mac via toslink? (that would be a long cable as the hifi is around 5 metres away)
    Or should I connect it via USB?
    Or should I get a HiFace and go SPDIF?

Oh, and should I use it as a pre amp into my 8000s?

Your Airport is connecting directly to your hifi using RCA cables? If so, you' haven't begun to hear how good your airport can sound. My airport is connected to my dac via a mini-toslink cable, this one;

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Now, regarding the options you are considering, and the fact that the airport is limited to 44.1 Khz. I would;

1. Connet my iMac toslinked to a DAC. Same cable as the one mentioned above. The iMac's optical out can stream up to 24/96 data. the maximum recommended length of a toslink cable is about 5 meters.

2. If option 1 isn't good enough then I would try the hiface solution.

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I've stuck with iTunes 7.7 for it's simplicity more than anything. It does what I need it to do.
    That's the same reason I stuck with it, but I experimented with 9 and found a definite improvement in sound quality. I don't care about the genius or compatibility with the latest iPhone. I just want the music to sound good, and this upgrade made it better.

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I'm Lee.

Your Airport is connecting directly to your hifi using RCA cables? If so, you' haven't begun to hear how good your airport can sound. My airport is connected to my dac via a mini-toslink cable, this one;

Now, regarding the options you are considering, and the fact that the airport is limited to 44.1 Khz. I would;

1. Connet my iMac toslinked to a DAC. Same cable as the one mentioned above. The iMac's optical out can stream up to 24/96 data. the maximum recommended length of a toslink cable is about 5 meters.

2. If option 1 isn't good enough then I would try the hiface solution.

CD
    Thanks.

So, forget the AE altogether then?

Why are you using an AE? Is the mac in a different room?
    Lee

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Last.fm

Thanks.

So, forget the AE altogether then?
    Your iMac (check to make sure as there were so many iMac models) has a 24/96 digital output. The AE will never do that. So yeah, forget the AE in your situation.

Why are you using an AE? Is the mac in a different room?
    I use and airport express for 2 reasons;

1. My Mac is very very far away from the stereo.
    2. My Mac does'nt have any suitable digital output, like yours. I could use RCAs, but....no

Your question about using ethernet or wireless for the airport express, there is no lag. If you have good signal strength with wireless then it doesn't matter wheter you use wire or wireless with the AE, the performance is the same. As mentioned earlier, my wireless signal is weak and therefore unreliable.

CD
    David

I'm Lee.

You must have very long runs of ethernet cable running around your house then!
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm Lee.

My airport is connected to my dac via a mini-toslink cable, this one;

Is there anywhere in the uk I could get a cable like that?
    Lee

Last.fm

Is there anywhere in the uk I could get a cable like that?
    Do a search for a mini toslink cable. They're quite common.

CD
    David

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    I've tried streaming through a Windows iTunes, xbmc/boxee installed on the AppleTV and from the HD on the AppleTV itself. Not much difference if any at all that I could determine.
    Old thread...I know. I finally got a jitterbuster. Found a used Theta TLC. In the first week I had it I found it was very sensitive to power. My unit has the standard wall wart, not the beefy upgraded PSU. When plugged into a shared power strip, it didnt sound that good. Powered up from a wall outlet brought out the good sound.

The improvement was substantial. Much reduced digital glare and significant bass improvement. iTunes outputs bit perfect to an airport express from a Macintosh, so all the TLC had to do was straighten out the data, which apparently it does quite well. Through a DIY friend I am building a beefy PSU for it. That should really tighten things up.

CD
    David

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Nothing like coming back to an old thread I use a Monarchy Audio DIP24/96, non upsampling The difference it makes isn't subtle, it's just plain obvious

Wouldn't be without it tbh, best cash i spent on my digital system (apart from the transport which was a real bargain)
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123