+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making an Airport Express better?

Default Making an Airport Express better?

Recently I upgraded the PSU on my 7520, and while that change was an improvement, it also revealed my airport express for the highly jittery digital source that it is. I find it hard to give up the express because the convenience of accessing my entire music library from the iTunes interface which I am very comfortable with is hard to let go of.

Anyone have suggestions on how to improve upon it in a economical fashion?

So far I've come across these possibilities:

1. Get Empirical Audio's Pace car to re-clock the exrpesses output. Sounds very good and there a lots of very positive reviews about it. The device costs $1200. That's a wee bit more than I bargained for.

2. Replace my 7520 with the Benchmark DAC1 PRE? DAC1 has a well known jitter reduction (immune?) circuitry that would work well with my express. But at $1500, that is way out of my budget.

One thing I will try for the moment is to get an updated Airport Express. There are 2 Airport express models, and they look identical. The older one is the B/g model (A1084) which I have. The newer one is the N model (A1264). I've perused the web and found that the N model does have a better DAC within; capable of 24/96 as opposed to a maximum of 16/48 in my model. Apple firmware does not enable that capability, however.

My hunch and hope is that the N model handles jitter better than the B/G model.

If there are any other suggestions, please do tell.

Thanks.

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I thought this whole jitter nonsense had been put to bed in the last 15 years as modern DACs lock-on to the data stream much better now. Are you sure it's not interference on the wireless network signal?????
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I thought this whole jitter nonsense had been put to bed in the last 15 years as modern DACs lock-on to the data stream much better now. Are you sure it's not interference on the wireless network signal?????
    I use the wire

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I'm Jim.

You could always get a jitterbuster second hand somewhere. Theta, Monarchy, Trichord etc.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    You could always get a jitterbuster second hand somewhere. Theta, Monarchy, Trichord etc.
    I googled jitterbuster and found this;

http://www.monarchyaudio.com/DIP4.htm

Then I noticed that you have an airport and the Monarchy DIP. So, how much of a difference did it make?

This is very encouraging. They're not that expensive and apparently address my issue exactly.

CD
    David

I'm Jim.

There are two types of Monarchy DIP's. One that upsamples and one that doesn't.

The DIP basically does, although I may be wrong, the same as what Stan does in the DAC by re-clocking the data so in theory it shouldn't make any difference. Setting the DIP to upsampling mode made more of a difference to the sound giving it more clarity and definition. Again I don't know why. I'll plug it in again and try it now that I have the 7520 supercharged

I have tried the AppleTV streaming lossless into both DACs and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the CD5XS into them.

It might just be time for a change of source?
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

There are two types of Monarchy DIP's. One that upsamples and one that doesn't.

The DIP basically does, although I may be wrong, the same as what Stan does in the DAC by re-clocking the data so in theory it shouldn't make any difference. Setting the DIP to upsampling mode made more of a difference to the sound giving it more clarity and definition. Again I don't know why. I'll plug it in again and try it now that I have the 7520 supercharged

I have tried the AppleTV streaming lossless into both DACs and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the CD5XS into them.

It might just be time for a change of source?
    Were\are you running iTunes on Windows or from a Mac, and did you make sure to set everything for bit perfect output?

CD
    David

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Codifus View Post
    Were\are you running iTunes on Windows or from a Mac, and did you make sure to set everything for bit perfect output?
    I've tried streaming through a Windows iTunes, xbmc/boxee installed on the AppleTV and from the HD on the AppleTV itself. Not much difference if any at all that I could determine.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I've tried streaming through a Windows iTunes, xbmc/boxee installed on the AppleTV and from the HD on the AppleTV itself. Not much difference if any at all that I could determine.
    I'm a little comforted that you said that because iTunes on a Mac runs better. I've run iTunes on my WindowsXP machine and the Mac version always bettered it, even to the same airport express.

I hear that Itunes, and audio device drivers in general, have improved significantly in Windows Vista and of course, 7.

CD
    David

I'm Jim.

Default Making an Airport Express better?

Isn't that the beauty of hifi though? If there was one solution wouldn't everyone be using it? I've never ran a mac iTunes into my system so I can't say whether that was better or not from what I have heard.

I still think at the end of the day you could put the best signal you want into the AE/Atv and it will still come out less than perfect.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast