+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nobsound sprung feet - had to check them out

montesquieu Guest

Default Nobsound sprung feet - had to check them out

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Aluminu...72.m2749.l2649

The above have been on ebay for a bit and I've been curious. I run a set of Townshend Seismic Pods (the heavy ones, so retailing at £119 each, x 4 is the best part of £500) which made a surprisingly big difference to the performance of my Thorens TD124. The Nobsound ones of course are considerably cheaper, only £29 a set, now shipped from within the UK (until relatively recently they were only available from the Far East).

Anyway they duly arrived just a couple of days after ordering, and I have to say opening the box, I was quite impressed. Nice manufacturing quality and it took no time at all - 10 minutes tops - to stick the rubber patches on the outsides, fit the springs and make the feet up as four cool looking spring sandwiches.

Out of the box with all springs fitted, they are very stiff indeed, supposedly rated for 32kg the set but I would say probably can be used quite a bit higher. I removed the middle spring from each and tried them under the TT plinth which is about 30kg all up with the solid wood plinth and Schopper platter. Immediate impression was that the bounce frequency was far too high compared to the Townshend Pods' slowly-moving single spring based assembly, which is also free to move in all dimensions not just up and down. I tried various combinations of springs, reducing the number in use from 7 down to 4 (practical minimum for stability), but there was a notable decline in performance in every configuration compared to the Townshend Pods. For turntables at least, these are not Townshend killers.

However I think they are mainly intended for speakers for that that purpose they could well be pretty good. (Not with my very heavy Tannoys though).

In the end I used them with four springs in place under my DAC (AN kit recently upgraded again and re-cased - with its very heavily upgraded PSU it is now comparable to in size and weight to and indeed in execution to the top end Lampizator DACs, and as heavy as a hefty valve amp, but just had rubber feet). I thought I detected a slight improvement so I've left them there, where they actually look pretty nice.

Upshot - curiosity satisfied but the Townshends have it for sure in a critical application like a turntable. Might be of interest for source components if they also produced say a smaller set with less stiff springs.

I'm John.

Following on from returning home from visiting a friend, where trials on speaker footers become the topic of the get together.
    Using different footers under Speakers belonging to the system, were seen to be improving the interface and noticeable sonic benefits were evident.
    Much music was played and then the Speakers returned to their original set up.
    It was evident that the newly added feet were the better method to use on the speakers.
    A discussion on cost of the components used against purchasing Townsend's was on the table.
    The Nobusound Feet could prove to be the answer at a extremely fair outlay.
    The link has been forwarded to the friend I visited.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Aluminu...72.m2749.l2649

The above have been on ebay for a bit and I've been curious. I run a set of Townshend Seismic Pods (the heavy ones, so retailing at £119 each, x 4 is the best part of £500) which made a surprisingly big difference to the performance of my Thorens TD124. The Nobsound ones of course are considerably cheaper, only £29 a set, now shipped from within the UK (until relatively recently they were only available from the Far East).

Anyway they duly arrived just a couple of days after ordering, and I have to say opening the box, I was quite impressed. Nice manufacturing quality and it took no time at all - 10 minutes tops - to stick the rubber patches on the outsides, fit the springs and make the feet up as four cool looking spring sandwiches.

Out of the box with all springs fitted, they are very stiff indeed, supposedly rated for 32kg the set but I would say probably can be used quite a bit higher. I removed the middle spring from each and tried them under the TT plinth which is about 30kg all up with the solid wood plinth and Schopper platter. Immediate impression was that the bounce frequency was far too high compared to the Townshend Pods' slowly-moving single spring based assembly, which is also free to move in all dimensions not just up and down. I tried various combinations of springs, reducing the number in use from 7 down to 4 (practical minimum for stability), but there was a notable decline in performance in every configuration compared to the Townshend Pods. For turntables at least, these are not Townshend killers.

However I think they are mainly intended for speakers for that that purpose they could well be pretty good. (Not with my very heavy Tannoys though).

In the end I used them with four springs in place under my DAC (AN kit recently upgraded again and re-cased - with its very heavily upgraded PSU it is now comparable to in size and weight to and indeed in execution to the top end Lampizator DACs, and as heavy as a hefty valve amp, but just had rubber feet). I thought I detected a slight improvement so I've left them there, where they actually look pretty nice.

Upshot - curiosity satisfied but the Townshends have it for sure in a critical application like a turntable. Might be of interest for source components if they also produced say a smaller set with less stiff springs.
    Do you think these might work under a soundbar with down firing sub which is causing some issues with regards to vibration? Cheers Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Do you think these might work under a soundbar with down firing sub which is causing some issues with regards to vibration? Cheers Jim
    Hi Jim

I've a very similar set of 4 of these spare if you'd like to try them out.
    Just PM me your name and address if you fancy giving them a go and I'll pop them in the post.
    If they work for you and you want to buy them, I'm sure we can agree a price.

Mine look like this ...

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hi Jim

I've a very similar set of 4 of these spare if you'd like to try them out.
    Just PM me your name and address if you fancy giving them a go and I'll pop them in the post.
    If they work for you and you want to buy them, I'm sure we can agree a price.

Mine look like this ...

Hi Jerry sorry for the late reply, I pulled the trigger on the nobsound ones last night I'm very grateful for the kind offer, jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

Hibster_2000 Guest

Nobsound feet would probably go very well when using the Bum gauge for levelling your tonearm.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LP-Vinyl-....c100005.m1851

I'm Michael.

Sadly the Nobsound ones are copies of the RD'd Viablue ones. Nobsound, like much of the Chinese Alibaba specials have no RD into the product an merely 'copy' what they see. The spring loaded probably isnt even correct either. Waste of money no natter how cheap they are.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Sadly the Nobsound ones are copies of the RD'd Viablue ones. Nobsound, like much of the Chinese Alibaba specials have no RD into the product an merely 'copy' what they see. The spring loaded probably isnt even correct either. Waste of money no natter how cheap they are.
    You tried them then or is this just an anti-nobsound rant?

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    You tried them then or is this just an anti-nobsound rant?
    The 'copies' are IMO no different from the originals. The springs are springs, not subject to any mystical audio spec. Very good too.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    The 'copies' are IMO no different from the originals. The springs are springs, not subject to any mystical audio spec. Very good too.
    Quite. They aren't Townshend killers by any means (as I said above) but neither - at a tenth of the price - are they a waste of money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast