+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The original Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Default The original Spendor SP2

Still using this speaker after 30 odd years and I have owned them from new. They still sound wonderful and with the right material give an uncanny naturalness to vocals and Instrument timbre. They don't rock hard but with more restrained music they are wonderfully natural sounding.

The originals are still the best in my opinion as the 8 inch mid bass driver was hand doped and carefully hand manufactured but I believe were difficult to make hence the SP2/2 which proceeded it had a different cone material. I don't think it sounds as natural although these speakers can be driven harder. I also feel the same about the harbeth speakers incidentally which moved to the Radial cone material which was easier to manufacture and probably more cost effective than its predecessor. I think the HL5 originals sounded better.

Anyway a few pics of these beautiful speakers which although old fashioned looking still sound sublime.

[IMG]P1000208 by sy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]P1000209 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/162281319@N03/]/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Ah...was hoping this was a sales thread James

I heard these speakers when I paid a visit to James a few years ago and agree with everything he has said about them . My own description of these speakers was ' beguiling ' . Absolutely loved them
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Ah...was hoping this was a sales thread James

I heard these speakers when I paid a visit to James a few years ago and agree with everything he has said about them . My own description of these speakers was ' beguiling ' . Absolutely loved them
    Cheers Brian, don't think they have changed much.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Martin.

And the finish on them compliments your skirting boards too!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And the finish on them compliments your skirting boards too!

I am beginning to really appreciate Spendor speakers.

I'm Martin.

I've only heard the BC1. New Spendors were out of my price bracket in the early days and they keep their value pretty well so not a cheap second hand punt either.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

I've only heard the BC1. New Spendors were out of my price bracket in the early days and they keep their value pretty well so not a cheap second hand punt either.
    I have heard the BC1 many times, in fact I think Marco may have had some at one point. He also had some much larger Spendors I believe?

I prefer the SP1 to the BC1.

I'm gone.

I had a pair of SP1/2 for a short while.
    Here being driven by a pair of 40wpc OTL monoblocks, but I used quite a variety and range of amps on them. Different stands, too - the open frame as in the pic and also sand filled Atacama.

Totally wonderful in terms of tonal neutrality - just amazingly natural through the broad midrange.

But micro-dynamically they were very sluggish - watching paint dry was a much more interesting and exciting experience!
    I could hear why some folks would love the sound, but not for me.
    As in the photo, I tried them with grilles removed to see if a bit of musical joie de vivre could be allowed through, but sadly not enough by a long way.

I'd be interested to hear a pair of SP2.
    I suspect, like Harbeth, better things come in smaller packages. Hearing little Harbie P3ESR I was quite bowled over, loved them. While the larger SHL5 Plus and 40 seemed weighted down by their extra mass and did little for me.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have heard the BC1 many times, in fact I think Marco may have had some at one point. He also had some much larger Spendors I believe?

I prefer the SP1 to the BC1.
    I think he had the SP100 or something like that.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

I think he had the SP100 or something like that.
    They were big beasts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast