+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The original Spendor SP2

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Never heard SP2s but I love my SP1s and don't ever intend to part with them. If they have the family/BBC sound then I would love them I'm sure.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Never heard SP2s but I love my SP1s and don't ever intend to part with them. If they have the family/BBC sound then I would love them I'm sure.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
    The Sp2s are just a bit faster and quick on their feet and work better in smaller rooms, however I like the Sp1 especially with its super tweeter. I have A-B Sp1 and SP2 and their is a very noticeable difference in the top end of the SP1 because of this super tweeter.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dennis.

The SP2 had a slight bass resonance, but which could be tamed at the port.

The BC1 was chosen at Bush after extensive auditioning with several other speakers, (and my voice was used in evaluation at that time), and I remember my boss showing me the graph with its then outstandingly smooth mid.

We had a BC2 or 3 in the control room, and the bass was very limited due to the thin cabinet design.

Of all the BBC heritage speakers I liked the LS 5/5, LS 3/4, and the subsequent LS 3/6 which to me was the best.

The Spendor S100 was I remember compared with ATC 100s when it appeared, and was described as a little more 'fruity'.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I had a pair of SP1/2 for a short while.

But micro-dynamically they were very sluggish - watching paint dry was a much more interesting and exciting experience!
    I could hear why some folks would love the sound, but not for me.
    I don’t have your speaker, I have SP1s, but I know exactly what you mean. Fortunately I found the problem went away when I hooked them up to a Krell KSA50. And then came back again when I hooked them up to a Quad 520. My conclusion is that my speakers are very fussy about amps, and they want the best or they sulk.
    Last edited by Mandryka; 21-08-2019 at 05:40.

I'm gone.

Hmm, interesting.
    I've had a Krell KSA50 (original mk1, refurbed) and I find it hard to imagine it bringing some zip to any speaker!
    But you've tried the SP1/KSA50 combo and I haven't. There's no real way to assess this sort of synergy without actually trying it.

The best sounding combo I tried was the pictured OTL amp, a very vivid and upbeat amp, and even that couldn't bring the SP1/2 decently to life.
    Unfortunately, my brief affair with the Spendors was over 10 years ago, before I started keeping detailed records of the hifi that has come and gone. And I can't now recall what other amps I had at the time and used on them, although the Krell would have been around that time, I can't be sure!

Anyhow, we're all after different things and hearing things differently and doing so with different music, so whatever floats your own boat is good!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12