+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Best subwoofer for Falcon LS3/5a?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Alex, which subwoofer have you used with the chartwells? We’re you happy with the overall result?

Cheers,
    Panos
    Two very different subwoofers, home built with EMI heavy duty 14" x9" unit and a JPW subwoofer.

Yes, pretty good.
    Spendorman

I'm Panos.

Thanks for the feedback. Which trait do you think is the most important one for best integration?
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Alex.

I thought the bump in the LS3/5a bass response was important to eliminate. This, of course could be room dependent.
    Spendorman

I'm Panos.

I see. If the lower bass is filled, perhaps the bass bump becomes less obvious. (? )
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Alex.

Strangely, I found the opposite.
    Spendorman

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Strangely, I found the opposite.
    That's interesting. I would hesitate to open up my Falcons though.
    The dilemma for me still remains: REL T/7i with high-level input or SVS SB-2000 Pro with PEQ?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    That's interesting. I would hesitate to open up my Falcons though.
    I perhaps would to, I was even hesitant to open my Chartwells, even though I bought them second hand (in 1987 for £90).

My home-made clones, I purposely made the cabinets a bit larger and with more damping inside. These have superior bass, going down a little lower and with the upper bass peak missing.
    Spendorman

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Some years ago I tried a subwoofer with Chartwell LS3/5a's I found that adding a little extra damping inside the LS3/5a's removed the slight hump in their bass.

Some may say that modifying the LS3/5a's is sacrilege, but it worked.
    That's correct. Adding stuffing lowers Qtc and will reduce the large midbass hump.

https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.p...he-trials.html

I'm Andre.

Jim Rogers did a sub for the 'JR149'. I think it was available in both Passive & Active versions.. Did an amp fro em as well

I'm Ken.

Rogers latest bass solution for LS3/5a.

https://www.rogers-hifi.uk/rogers-ab...bwoofer-system

Pricey and not particularly deep, but they use the same bass drivers as the (Rogers) LS3/5a so will probably integrate well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast