+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best subwoofer for Falcon LS3/5a?

I'm Panos.

Default Best subwoofer for Falcon LS3/5a?

Hi,

I love my Falcon LS3/5a for all the known reasons that LS3/5a have a loyal fan base. Having said that, I believe that my small speakers could use some extra bottom-end 'body', which is of course limited due to their limited volume.

I am wondering whether a subwoofer might be able to do the trick and offer the desired extension below 80Hz, but WITHOUT negatively affecting the speed and naturalness of the Falcons.

Oh, I have to clarify that I am also a neafield devotee, not due to room limitations, but because I feel that the nearfield listening position gives me more detail, more transparency and less room intervention.

Any comments about using a subwoofer? Any suggestions about subwoofers that could be a good match with the LS3/5a?

Enclosed a sketch of my listening room (blue area).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

ListeningRoom_FalconLS3:5a.jpg
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Alan.

You can't go wrong with REL subs.

I'm Panos.

Thanks, Alan,

I think that -apart from its inherent sonic qualities- the subwoofer should also have as many controls as possible, to facilitate the integration with the speakers in the given listening room. Would you agree?
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Geoff.

I bought my Rogers LS3/5a's 40 years ago. Frankly, I have never heard them work well with sub-woofers, even those designed specifically for them. I have always found that a mega powerful amp does more to address their fundamental bass problems. Yes, a sub-woofer will provide a deeper sound but it will not provide a better one!

I'm Graham.

Have you thought about AB1 extender which was designed specifically for the ls 3/5a? Stirling Broadcast currently make a slightly revised version called the AB2.
    20 years ago I had the opportunity to buy a Rogers AB1 and matching ls3/5a. But back then I didn't really have a clue about hifi and couldn't bring myself to buy something so Heath Robinson. If only I had listened to my ears and not my eyes!!
    Anyway, the AB1 will give you more body and extension without overpowering the lovely balance of the 3/5a.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I bought my Rogers LS3/5a's 40 years ago. Frankly, I have never heard them work well with sub-woofers, even those designed specifically for them. I have always found that a mega powerful amp does more to address their fundamental bass problems. Yes, a sub-woofer will provide a deeper sound but it will not provide a better one!
    Thanks for your feedback, Goeff.

It may sound rather heretic, but I seem to prefer my Falcon LS3/5a over my bigger and more expensive Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary. That says a lot in favor of the Falcons.

Of course just adding a subwoofer (irrespective of the subwoofer quality) without the proper, very careful integration, may fix some things and deteriorate others. So, IMHO, integration is key.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Have you thought about AB1 extender which was designed specifically for the ls 3/5a? Stirling Broadcast currently make a slightly revised version called the AB2.
    20 years ago I had the opportunity to buy a Rogers AB1 and matching ls3/5a. But back then I didn't really have a clue about hifi and couldn't bring myself to buy something so Heath Robinson. If only I had listened to my ears and not my eyes!!
    Anyway, the AB1 will give you more body and extension without overpowering the lovely balance of the 3/5a.

Yes, Graham, I am aware of the Stirling AB2 bass extender. It is intended to provide a turnkey solution for LS3/5a (and not only the Stirling ones). However, I am concerned with the fact that the AB2 have no controls and thus do not allow any adaptation to my nearfield listening preference within my specific room, which is not so regular in dimensions. Otherwise, the AB2 would have been a no-brainer.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    You can't go wrong with REL subs.
    I would agree, you have a challenging room though as its rather square.

1 very good subwoofer in the rear right crossed over below 80hz may work.

But there are swarm subwoofer options where you go for four 8 inch subwoofers spread throughout the wall space and you get a much more even bass response, but you are not going to get much below about 22hz.

Whats your budget ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...woofer-system/

Have a read of this

I'm Martin.

DIY 4 subwoofer system.

[URL][https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/a-diy-swarm-based-distributed-bass-array-for-sota-bass/URL]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast