+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best subwoofer for Falcon LS3/5a?

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    I would agree, you have a challenging room though as its rather square.

1 very good subwoofer in the rear right crossed over below 80hz may work.

But there are swarm subwoofer options where you go for four 8 inch subwoofers spread throughout the wall space and you get a much more even bass response, but you are not going to get much below about 22hz.

Whats your budget ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Martin. thanks for our feedback.

My budget is 1000€ (approx. 910 GBP with today's exchange rate). I am afraid that the Swarm subs are far above my budget. I would not like to spend the same or more than what the Falcons cost on the first place.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Martin.

Look out for an REL Strata, Stentor or Stadium. Fully adjustable. Proper subs not pretend ones. All those models should be within your budget if you can find one. Stadium is the really big one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Wow i knew the pound had tanked but its not quite that bad yet...

I run a stentor 3 (one for sale in classifieds for £600) with proac tablette 10 signatures which are ls3/5 but my amp has a leading class room correction. This rel was designed for hifi

The more modern rel subs are designed for home theatre or home theatre and hifi. REL website actually recommends either one T7i subwoofer or a pair of T5is for a small room with Harberth LS3/5 models.

You should see if you can get a home demo though.

I'm Martin.

Default Best subwoofer for Falcon LS3/5a?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Look out for an REL Strata, Stentor or Stadium. Fully adjustable. Proper subs not pretend ones. All those models should be within your budget if you can find one. Stadium is the really big one.
    The series goes, strata, stadium, stentor then studio. The studio is 90kgs twin 10 inch drivers. However you dont get DSP on these models and your room is boxy which is a massive challenge for single subwoofer with no DSP.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I have been eying an SVS SB-3000 https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-3000 , mainly due to its mobile application (iOS), that can set the controls on the fly (via bluetooth) and a built-in DSP. It has EQ functionality that seems quite flexible...
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    The series goes, strata, stadium, stentor then studio. The studio is 90kgs twin 10 inch drivers. However you dont get DSP on these models and your room is boxy which is a massive challenge for single subwoofer with no DSP.

k
    I don't know about a major challenge - as long as you're free to place it anywhere in the room. For the rest you are right of course. And I forgot all about the Studio but did anyone ever actually have one?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    I have been eying an SVS SB-3000 https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-3000 , mainly due to its mobile application (iOS), that can set the controls on the fly (via bluetooth) and a built-in DSP. It has EQ functionality that seems quite flexible...
    Can you get it on demo ?

I'm Martin.

45 day home trial according to the link.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...ox/minidsp-2x4

By all accounts these are very good and would work well with an older REL

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Hi,

I love my Falcon LS3/5a for all the known reasons that LS3/5a have a loyal fan base. Having said that, I believe that my small speakers could use some extra bottom-end 'body', which is of course limited due to their limited volume.

I am wondering whether a subwoofer might be able to do the trick and offer the desired extension below 80Hz, but WITHOUT negatively affecting the speed and naturalness of the Falcons.

Oh, I have to clarify that I am also a neafield devotee, not due to room limitations, but because I feel that the nearfield listening position gives me more detail, more transparency and less room intervention.

Any comments about using a subwoofer? Any suggestions about subwoofers that could be a good match with the LS3/5a?

Enclosed a sketch of my listening room (blue area).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Attachment 26516
    Morning Panos,
    I also have the Falcon LS3/5a speakers. Mine were part of an original batch sold as a complete kit just before Jerry at Falcon took them to the Berlin Hi end show and onsubsequently only sold them as built licensed versions at many times the kit price (approx £650). They still use fully matched components and Jerry told me they are unlikely to be identified as different from the licesnsed version if built as directed.

Mine are also used near field - often either side of my computer desk at about 1.6m apart and connected to a Linn amplifier. I am slowly digitising my large lp collection and use them to monitor the recording as well as general background music.

I have an MJ Accoustics Reference 150 sub which I often connect to them with good suuccess. This sub is of traditional analogue design rather than using class D amps with high output. It works very well in stereo hifi setups and this was its original design aim. I followed the makers guide in setting it up for working with HiFi and a guide published in HiFi News for determining sub location (also very important).

Rather than using the normal pre-out from the amp, I use a High Level input which connects the sub to the amp/speakers via the actual speaker connections/outputs. The sub must have the controls and input to support this type of operation. For the Falcons I set the sub to cut in at around 65Hz. I then adjust the sub volume to a point I just hear a bass boost and then back off a touch. I site the sub in a corner which suits me and is in line with the HiFi News guide I read. The primary aim is to integrate the lower missing frequencies from the sub with the higher frequencies the speaker can provide. This is all very subjective according to what you like and takes some time to achieve. I hate big bass boom/boost as normally heard from subs in AV setups. My sub volume is usually set in the lower quarter of its range.

The AB cabinet originally developed to match to the LS3/5a was also supplied in kit form for a short period by Falcon using the official drivers. However this never moved accross to retail production after the kits sold out so I assume Jerry did not feel it was a good match or neccesary to enhance the LS3/5a speaker.

Feel free to ask any questions either via the post or pm as i think the reply is now a little too long.

Mel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast