+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replacing older albums

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Aerial by Kate Bush (Fish People) is quite well known for being a crap pressing, so that's probably going to sound bad whatever you do. That, combined with the silly prices asked for used copies persuaded me to go CD on that one

I think maybe the pressing plants are not taking the upturn in vinyl sales seriously, and are perhaps not prepared to pay for any proper investment or maintenance of equipment. Also all the folk who used to work for these places have long since retired or passed on to "side two". And maybe the replacement guys lack the talent/passion/raw materials to do the job properly. Just my theory.
    I think it is a bit of emperor's new clothes with heavy duty virgin vinyl as it is not tough enough. You are right that the skills sets seem to be missing.

It probably won't affect me too much as my wife is convinced I am stuck in 1974. I have to agree. Now where is that Bad Co album?
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Slawts View Post
    I think it is a bit of emperor's new clothes with heavy duty virgin vinyl as it is not tough enough. You are right that the skills sets seem to be missing.

It probably won't affect me too much as my wife is convinced I am stuck in 1974. I have to agree. Now where is that Bad Co album?
    New vinyl is definitely not as tough - Ive lost count of the number of times I've given an album a second play, and found myself saying "Bloody hell, that big crackle wasn't there last time I played it!" Been disappointed so many times, its old pressings all the way from now on.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Crackles that move; ie, change position on record on another playing are often static. Just in case you come across it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Crackles that move; ie, change position on record on another playing are often static. Just in case you come across it.
    Never considered that, but I will now.

I wonder why some records are more prone to static than others? Some records no problem, some relly need some persuasion to get them out of the sleeve, and I can feel my finger-hairs standing up. Strange.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Grant.

get a milty zerostat.. great bits of kit
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Avoid buying vinyl that is not black. PVC is transparent. It is made black coloured through the addition of carbon black, which being a conductor helps to prevent the generation of static.

Also be careful when using a 'static gun'; if not used properly you can end up charging the LP instead of discharging the static. Having a well watered potted plant nearby can help.

The problem with modern vinyl is twofold. First many of the skills needed in pressing vinyl have been lost, and second the reject rate used to be far, far higher than it is now. Quality standards have lapsed; sacrificed to maintain sales figures. That said, some of the so-called audiophile pressings can be very good, and any Japanese pressing can be relied upon (those having an 'obi' band); Japanese audiophiles have zero tolerance to less than perfect pressings.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Avoid buying vinyl that is not black. PVC is transparent. It is made black coloured through the addition of carbon black, which being a conductor helps to prevent the generation of static.

Also be careful when using a 'static gun'; if not used properly you can end up charging the LP instead of discharging the static. Having a well watered potted plant nearby can help.

The problem with modern vinyl is twofold. First many of the skills needed in pressing vinyl have been lost, and second the reject rate used to be far, far higher than it is now. Quality standards have lapsed; sacrificed to maintain sales figures. That said, some of the so-called audiophile pressings can be very good, and any Japanese pressing can be relied upon (those having an 'obi' band); Japanese audiophiles have zero tolerance to less than perfect pressings.
    Good to know! I only have a few coloured or picture discs, but was never happy with the sound.

I looked at the Milty static guns after Grant's post. Looks useful, but £50! And it looks like the spud guns we had as kids. Maybe I'll look out for a used example.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Robin.

Bought the latest Springsteen album, didn’t pay enough attention it’s on blue vinyl.

Currently looking to replace my very old and worn Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks, there are a variety of options.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Good to know! I only have a few coloured or picture discs, but was never happy with the sound.

I looked at the Milty static guns after Grant's post. Looks useful, but £50! And it looks like the spud guns we had as kids. Maybe I'll look out for a used example.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milty-ant...MAAOSwCwxdUCwd
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Bought the latest Springsteen album, didn’t pay enough attention it’s on blue vinyl.

Currently looking to replace my very old and worn Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks, there are a variety of options.
    Is that Western Skies? i saw a nice blue one with white star splatters. looked cool.. Probably be a collectors item some day
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast