+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car Waiting Time

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    When we bought our new car, we went to the garage with every intention of buying one almost new and saving money. However, after checking on Car wow and finding a cheap dealer, presumably needing to move a new one on quickly for his targets (saving about £1.5-2k off list IIRC), the scrappage scheme in place to PX our old one only available when buying new (which I think was about £1k extra), and a more attractive rate on finance when buying new, it turned out that the price was the same give or take a few hundred, and then we could define the exact spec we wanted (eg colour, glass roof etc). The only difference was we had to travel 150 miles to collect it.
    Nice one, Lawrence. That's cool. The difference is you thought about it and considered your options carefully first, before buying new, rather than just wading into your nearest dealership and handing over your cash, simply to 'feel special' because you've bought a brand new car, or to earn bragging rights over your neighbours!

Only clueless, materialist idiots do that, not anyone who's sensible with their money, no matter how much of it they may have, or otherwise... Some of the wealthiest people in the world are also the most tightfisted, as they didn't get to where they are by being spendthrifts.

As an aside, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with you, the only folk who continually brag about how much money they earn, and judge success with wealth, and who are completely obsessed with that, are the vulgar chavs who up until now haven't had any!

It's interesting how those who are most guilty of this never discuss their parents or upbringing, most likely because they're too ashamed to admit or discuss their scumbag origins...

Anyway, I digress!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

I'm completely incurious about how much money anyone's got, how they earned it, or how they spend it, and whether their purchasing choices make them a 'chav'.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'm completely incurious about how much money anyone's got, how they earned it, or how they spend it, and whether their purchasing choices make them a 'chav'.
    I'm with you there Joe.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Same here, and because like most well-educated and well-adjusted people, you're not 'wired' to gauge success by the contents of your bank balance, nor are you so crass or vulgar as to brag to strangers about how much you earn, or how much you've paid for the things you've bought. Plus, most importantly, you're comfortable with what you've got and who you are.

In my experience, it tends to be the rather brainless and insecure 'chavs', who are guilty of such; who obsess over material possessions and are driven by money, simply because they grew up with none, often raised by 'parents' who couldn't have given a damn. And despite how much money they've got now, they're clearly still NOT happy, but don't have the intelligence to recognise it, far less the honesty to admit it!

That certainly applies to the sad cases I'm referring to.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Plus, these clowns are also too thick to grasp that working until 9pm every evening and having one day off a year, or something equally ridiculous, is NO LIFE WHATSOEVER, as you've got no time to enjoy yourself [remember what having FUN is?] or the money you've made, far less spend time with your kids or fulfil a proper marital relationship - and you may well die from stress/overwork LONG before you get the chance to enjoy the supposed 'future' you've built!

Marco [lives for the moment, as you never know what tomorrow will bring].
    Main System

I'm Jon.

I don’t wish to sound confrontational here or cause any offense, or if i’m reading this wrong, but..

I have a couple of friends who have no choice but to work all the hours god sends just to survive and provide for their kids the best they can. Last time i looked they have a great relationship with their wives and children (i’m godfather to them). Also i’m fairly sure that they’re not nutters or thick, they are just doing the best with the hand they have been dealt.
    Speaking for myself, i worked until it nearly killed me for 10 years in my 30’s, but now own 2 properties with no mortgage on either. Was it worth the risk to my health, yes, yes it was and not sure it makes me a nutter?
    Like i said, maybe i’m reading those comments all wrong?
    Also, just to add, but if someone works hard and earns their money honestly and buys a load of chav stuff that they shout about, then fair play. As long as the money was earned honestly and didnt hurt anyone or rip anyone off or defraud with taxes then who really cares?
    It's the scroungers and criminals that should be put under the spotlight, not the workers imo.

Worry not, Gary. None of what you've written is remotely offensive or confrontational. Indeed, I agree with much of what you've written, and you or anyone you know are certainly not "nutters". I'll comment later after the football I'm currently watching.

In the meantime, I'll pop you a PM and inform you of the very genuine nutters I'm referring to.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    I don’t wish to sound confrontational here or cause any offense, or if i’m reading this wrong, but..

I have a couple of friends who have no choice but to work all the hours god sends just to survive and provide for their kids the best they can. Last time i looked they have a great relationship with their wives and children (i’m godfather to them). Also i’m fairly sure that they’re not nutters or thick, they are just doing the best with the hand they have been dealt.
    Speaking for myself, i worked until it nearly killed me for 10 years in my 30’s, but now own 2 properties with no mortgage on either. Was it worth the risk to my health, yes, yes it was and not sure it makes me a nutter?
    Like i said, maybe i’m reading those comments all wrong?
    Also, just to add, but if someone works hard and earns their money honestly and buys a load of chav stuff that they shout about, then fair play. As long as the money was earned honestly and didnt hurt anyone or rip anyone off or defraud with taxes then who really cares?
    It's the scroungers and criminals that should be put under the spotlight, not the workers imo.
    True.

As I have posted before, not everyone who works stupidly long hours are materialistic morons just after financing their barely-affordable high end lifestyle, some are just trying to pay the bills. And I know what that feels like
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    As I have posted before, not everyone who works stupidly long hours are materialistic morons...
    Absolutely, but trust me mate, those I'm referring to ARE - and worse!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

If people want to work insane hours until they're too knackered to do anything but sleep afterwards, that's entirely their choice, but I can't see anything noble in the act of working for the sake of it, or just to accumulate more and more 'stuff'. Of course, having to work all the hours God sends to keep body and soul together is an entirely different matter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast