+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car Waiting Time

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    If people want to work insane hours until they're too knackered to do anything but sleep afterwards, that's entirely their choice, but I can't see anything noble in the act of working for the sake of it, or just to accumulate more and more 'stuff'.
    Spot on, and exactly my point!

There's certainly nothing noble in it at all; it's misguided idiocy, and the behaviour of dimwitted, shortsighted oiks, who apportion 'success' in life with the accumulation of frivolous trinkets, or how much cash there is in the bank. They do this simply because they've been conditioned to believe that life is all about money or 'status' - and worse, how you can try and buy the affection of the children you've neglected, and fix the damage that's caused, as a result of working ridiculous hours continually 'chasing the dream'

The fact is, you can't be a permanent workaholic without it *eventually* impacting negatively on your personal relationships.

That's why the world is full of lonely millionaires, with hosts of failed marriages under their belts, together with kids who resent them and have disowned them, and that in later life, bitterly regret some of the decisions they've made!

And here's another thing: if you can look back on your entire life not having made at least ONE good friend, worthy of the name, take a good look in the mirror....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

We're booking a holiday, and going away on the 2nd for a week, and I'm working stupidly hard to pay for it. the irony is, that if I wasn't giving all my time and energy to this new job, I wouldn't need a holiday! Something not quite right there.

Anyway, so far this job hasn't been all they cracked it up to be. Last week I netted just over £300, and I'm afraid that doesn't come near covering all the bills, van costs, etc. This week I've been going flat out, doing 11-hour days (that's a lot for a lazy shite like me) and as I type this I really feel like saying f--- off to today's jobs and going back to bed.

My top line will be £955 this week, but after all the costs involved (buying all the necessary consumables, skip hire etc) and the taxman takes his bit, I'll be interested to see what goes in the bank today.

Even if it ends up a good wage, there's no way I'm doing that again. I really found my limit this week I said I'd give this job till Christmas before having a think, but sod that I'll decide while on holiday, and in the meantime I'm not accepting any more jobs.

Apologies if talking money seems a bit vulgar, but I don't care anymore.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    We're booking a holiday, and going away on the 2nd for a week, and I'm working stupidly hard to pay for it. the irony is, that if I wasn't giving all my time and energy to this new job, I wouldn't need a holiday! Something not quite right there.
    Yes, it's called work/life balance....

And, for the good of your health and well-being, you need to sort it out. In the meantime, enjoy your holiday. Where are you off to?

Even if it ends up a good wage, there's no way I'm doing that again. I really found my limit this week I said I'd give this job till Christmas before having a think, but sod that I'll decide while on holiday, and in the meantime I'm not accepting any more jobs.
    Quite right! If what you've just described is accurate mate, then it's simply not working, as you're not making any worthwhile gains. Go back to how it was before, where YOU dictated your day and your workload. Be your own boss, and factor in some proper rest time.

Incidentally, the "nutters" I was referring to earlier almost never go on holiday or do anything nice, such as take their wives out for a meal, go to the cinema or a gig, or whatever recreational activities they would enjoy, yet claim to have "great lives" because they're "rich". Well, it would be nice to see some evidence of that, and discussion about what they've been doing, other than just working, or indulging in vulgar and utterly pathetic bragging about what they're earned!

Wake up and smell the coffee: no-one cares.

Even more hilarious is that they claim to be the "greatest in their field", yet don't possess the intelligence or ability to run their OWN business doing such! They work their fingers to the bone, simply making their BOSS rich He's the one with the REAL money!!

Marco.

P.S You have a PM.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

I used to work 16 hrs a day 7 days a week. look what happened to me..... get it sorted Steve.. it aint worth it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Thumbs up Stop and examine what you consider is important in life, before it's too late....

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I used to work 16 hrs a day 7 days a week. look what happened to me..... get it sorted Steve.. it aint worth it.
    There's nothing wrong with working hard when you're young. It's character-building and fundamentally necessary to get somewhere and achieve good things. However, it has to be done SENSIBLY, and with a realistic goal in mind, and that's not to try and become "rich", but simply comfortably off, without having debts or wanting for anything important, and most of all, feeling HAPPY and contented with life.

Like you, I worked ridiculously long hours, building up my business, with 7-day weeks, overnighters and all sorts, for over 10 years, until it eventually burned me out. The stress was dreadful. And even before then, I was working long hours as a sales rep for an art supplies/picture framing company, which is where I learned the business, then left to go it alone. It's what intelligent people do, rather than continuing to line someone else's pockets with money you've generated...

Fortunately, even though those mad, extremely full-on years running the business nearly killed me, and had a seriously negative impact on my marriage and home life, not to mention my health, I'd managed to make enough money to go semi-retired (with the help also of some fortunate property investments). Not because I was "rich", but we'd managed to pay off our mortgage, and all other debts the business had accrued, including in times of difficulty when we had to borrow against credit cards, extend overdraft limits and all sorts, and so had secured a comfortable future.

That, and the fact that we don't have kids, live a relatively simple life, save enjoying nice food and wine (as is the norm for the majority of people who come from a continental culture), and aren't driven by having 'flash possessions' or the latest technological gadgetry, meant that the amount of money I was still earning, working from home on a part-time basis from regular corporate contracts I still had with large companies in Scotland, allowed us to pay the bills, and a little more. Plus also allow Del to do the job she LOVES as a teacher, without having to worry about looking after the house - and most importantly giving us some QUALITY TIME to spend together, rather than before when we hardly ever saw each other, as I was nearly always working.

Yes we had money back then, but we had no real life: we were merely existing, not living. Sounds familiar?

The fundamental change in our lifestyle since has made a massive difference to the quality of our lives and our marriage, as now we're closer than ever. Del enjoys coming home from work to a clean house, maintained garden, the cats looked after (whereas before they'd be left largely themselves all day), and a nice cup of tea or a cocktail waiting for her when she gets in! All possible because I have the TIME [a most precious commodity these days] to do that and other jobs that are required, including managing a couple of small properties we rent out locally, which also brings in a few quid.

Would I want to go back to earning the kind of money I did when running the business? Not a chance! Do I have less money now than I did then? Yes, big time. *BUT* it doesn't matter, because we've got more than enough to get by, and most importantly both of us are happier and more contented now than we've ever been.

Plus, and this is a *massive* thing too... Because I have the TIME to do what I want on any given day, I can look after my elderly father, not only in terms of doing chores for him, but spending QUALITY TIME with him, having meals together, etc, and making some nice memories, as he only lives down the road. At 86, I don't know how many more memories there are left to make, so I intend to make as many nice ones as I can, as you only get one dad!

So despite being "rich", how many of the money-obsessed workaholic nutters I've mentioned, could claim to have enjoyed such a close, long and loving relationship with their wives/partners or parents? I suspect few, because their GREED FOR GOLD, and misguided materialistic "purpose in life" will almost certainly have taken precedence.

Therefore, the workaholics and money-obsessives of this world, and who have wives and kids, friends or loved ones, should think about that *very carefully* when deciding on what to prioritise, and what *truly* matters in life.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Default New Car Waiting Time

Problem mostly begins with all the very heavy lifting, and often walking with heavy loads. It wears down you cartilage etc.
    Should really have stayed an ee lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Yup, mate, I know. Fortunately, any of the jobs I did weren't really physical (so unlike you there's been no real wear and tear on my body), except when I used to deliver furniture and carpets for a well-known department store (before I later became a salesman on the shop floor), and carried the likes of three-piece suits, huge glass-fronted wall units and washing machines up numerous flights of stairs, to tenement flats in Glasgow. I was very young then, but enjoyed it, as it kept me fit and I loved the banter with all the lads!

The hard thing when I was running the business full-time, was the mental stress of being self-employed and having to generate enough money each month to pay a large mortgage on the detached bungalow we had in a 'posh' part of Glasgow, and pay most of the bills, as at the time Del was on 'buttons an hour' working on computers for Glasgow City Council, so her wage then barely put food on the table.

Got the flu, feeling really ill or so tired you can hardly stand up? Well too bad, you've got to get out there and make the money that's necessary to survive, as no-one else was going to do if for you...!! That's the tricky part of being self-employed. The good times are great (when the money's rolling in), but the bad times can be stressful beyond belief - and I largely felt the brunt of that.

However I can honestly say, hand on heart, that not ONCE did I ask my parents for any financial help, even though they'd have had the funds to solve some of our money worries back then, as I wanted to stand on my own two feet. Fortunately, through a combination of luck, persistence and hard graft, our fortunes changed when I won some important corporate contracts with large haulage companies and chains of hotels and nursing homes, which would go onto give me regular framing business, and from then on I didn't look back, and which is largely why we're in this happy position now

Marco.
    Main System

Ridiculously, and most amusingly, the excuse from said money-obsessed "nutters", for why they don't own their own business, is because of high taxes in their country of residence [in this case Sweden], so according to them it's pointless owning your own business, as apparently skilled employees there earn more than business OWNERS...

Somehow I think their reference to "bosses" is actually managers, not owners, as I know no owner of a successful company who would be happy earning significantly less than his staff - and if so, it doesn't say much for the company in question or them! The "nutters" tax excuse is simply to cover up their own ineptitude, as it's one thing having the skills to do a manual job, and earn a good living at it, and quite something else having the intelligence, responsibility and resourcefulness to run your own successful company, which is why few people get to be their own boss.

However, there are many thousands of successful, long-established privately-owned companies, of all descriptions, throughout Sweden, so someone must be making a successful living at it! No, the reason these "nutters" don't have their own business is simply because they lack the required acumen, or in other words, they're too thick.

Even more amusing, is their excuse for not taking any holidays, despite being "rich", which is that their wives won't go away because it would mean someone else looking after their dogs, and they won't go on holiday alone...

Well, they wouldn't need to do that if they had FRIENDS But of course, they haven't made any during their excuse for a 'life', because no-one in their right mind would want to associate with such emotionally damaged social misfits [sleep with their wives perhaps, like your so-called 'best mate' did to you, eh Peck? but that's a different mater].

Lastly - and this *really is* the LAST, before the thread gets back on topic, the "nutters" in question brag about being home by 1.30pm, or at the latest 3pm, having made a few hundred quid. Yes, but that's only because they started work at 4am, when most people are still tucked up in bed asleep! So in reality, they've been at it for over NINE HOURS, minimum, and more if they finish at 3pm. Hardly raking it in with minimal effort...

But the burning question is this: what time do these "nutters" go to bed at night, in order to get up for work at 4am?

Well, the average person needs around 8 hours of sleep, in order to function properly. That means that these "nutters' are likely to be in bed by 8pm, every single night! So what kind of LIFE is that...?

And you can bet your boots that after having been on the go since 4am, when they come home, they'll be too knackered to do much more than eat, then maybe a couple of hours in front of the TV, and play with the kids before bed, only to conduct the same routine again next day, and the next one - and the day after, with NO HOLIDAYS - EVER.... *SAME FOUR WALLS*.

Hardly a "great life', is it Peck? If that's your "great life", then you can keep it, as I wouldn't want to lead your sad pathetic existence, no matter how much money I earned. Anyway, never mind son, it'll soon be time again for your bed, and a wank to your skud mags!

Marco.

Edit: just discovered that the sad bastard goes to bed at 6pm, not 8, so has even less of a 'life' than I thought!
    Main System

I'm Dave.

msg 96:
    I did one day on a commercial building site. Just about killed me. Didn't bother to go back for my pay. Lifting scaffold poles makes one realise that some people are really strong. The other downside was that I got covered in dust. Life would have been different if I'd stuck with it. I would have got stronger, I"m sure, but other opportunities which I took shortly afterwards would perhaps not have come along. I was unemployed at the time, then some better (for me) positions came along, and in the long term I didn't look back. I wouldn't look down on people who do those jobs though - some jobs are really tough - and physically demanding.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    msg 96:
    I did one day on a commercial building site. Just about killed me. Didn't bother to go back for my pay. Lifting scaffold poles makes one realise that some people are really strong. The other downside was that I got covered in dust. Life would have been different if I'd stuck with it. I would have got stronger, I"m sure, but other opportunities which I took shortly afterwards would perhaps not have come along. I was unemployed at the time, then some better (for me) positions came along, and in the long term I didn't look back. I wouldn't look down on people who do those jobs though - some jobs are really tough - and physically demanding.
    Neither would I even dream of it, as it's the folks doing manual labour who largely keep the country going! I was simply highlighting the obvious disconnect between the reasons given by the "nutters" in question for not running their own business, doing what they're good at, and reality.

Anyway, let's get back on topic

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast