+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car Waiting Time

I'm Martin.

I don't now what it is like now but years ago I used to buy cars and flip them for a bit of extra scratch and it was amazing the bargains you could get with a bit of looking around. I had a few connections too, which did help. But the big smokers especially, people were practically giving them away and you could always find someone who wanted one but couldn't be arsed to look.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

My lease let's me do 20k a year. 60k total. Not bad
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Frankly, it doesn't sound that long a wait to me.
    Depends on how reliant one is on a car. A few problems with cars in our family recently have demonstrated that even a few days inconvenience puts stress levels up and may require considerable logistic planning. If one already has a working car, and the new one is “just” a replacement, then a few weeks delay is perhaps no big deal, but in some cases one gets into a hire car situation, which presents other problems.

Many of us are very reliant on our cars, and perhaps we don’t notice until suddenly something goes wrong.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sure, each to his or her own, but personally I don't see the attraction of owning a brand new car, other than pointless vanity.

If you look around, there are loads of ex-demonstrators around, some with less than a 100 miles on the clock, and they are *utterly mint* (still have that new car smell), and cost much less for exactly the same thing. To all intents and purposes, they are new cars. The registration plates also confirm such.

Good luck to her, and I hope she enjoys her new car when she gets it, but it's a mentality I simply can't relate to.

Marco.
    In our close family we have had both new and used cars. To date four new cars and I think around ten used cars. I don’t think we regret the new cars - but we tend to drive them into the ground. However one of the “new” cars might not have been new by the sort of definitions others use. One year the Ford Focus was supposed to be the best car of the year. I test drove one and didn’t like it. A while later I was passing a dealership and noticed a higher end model - a Ghia - at a low price. Took a chance and bought it. For what it was, it was a lovely car. When I picked it up it had 7 miles on the clock. Effectively one dealer had bought it, presumably to massage sales figures, so technically I wasn’t the first owner, but to all intents and purposes it was brand new.

At the other extreme, years ago I bought a used Fiat 850 for £35 in a private sale. It lasted a couple of months, but it did get us round northern France on a holiday, but when it got back the engine fell apart, and despite my best efforts I couldn’t get it reliably fixed and had to scrap it. For a long while most of my cars were cheapies, bought at the tail end of their lives. My first automatic was one such, but it took years before we got a new automatic one.

Having a new car can be a pleasant experience, as long as the spec’s right and it’s really what one wants.
    Dave

I'm Russell.

I wonder if part of the waiting isn’t some government paperwork? Taxes or some tariff that takes place when sending a car from Germany to the UK? If you want to waste time, just get the government involved.

Like Marco, I’ve always bought cars one year old. Many advantages, besides saving near half, such as any manufacturer’s defects have already been attended to. And any massive failure would have already shown up. And of course no waiting. While you may not be able to select all of the options you like, it’s not unusual for others to want the same options as you, unless you’ve got strange tastes. You get to test drive the car before purchase.

But someone must buy new cars, or there wouldn’t be any used ones! I have bought one new car in my life, and it was nice to be the first to own it. I ordered a car with no radio, manual transmission, and very basic, and it was near the price of a used one due to all of the features that I did not get. And I was able to install all the radio and speakers of my choice off the bat. This was 1981, things were a bit different then.

Enjoy the new car! Take a nice road trip and break it in!

Russell

I'm Grant.

My bro usually buys new, or pre registered etc. usually change it every 3 years. Just something they started many years ago, as both needed cars to commute to school. Think he is keeping his merc for a while longer as he is unsure how his health is going to be...
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Ive only bought one new motor; again it was just to have that brand spanking feel... silly I know but everyone should have it once.
    Current one is new too but leased
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

All good stuff, so in terms of this

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    IA while later I was passing a dealership and noticed a higher end model - a Ghia - at a low price. Took a chance and bought it. For what it was, it was a lovely car. When I picked it up it had 7 miles on the clock. Effectively one dealer had bought it, presumably to massage sales figures, so technically I wasn’t the first owner,]but to all intents and purposes it was brand new.

Having a new car can be a pleasant experience...
    How much did you save on the price of a brand new (never been driven) Ghia, and with only 7 miles on the clock, how less a "pleasant experience" do you think it delivered than a full price one with no miles on the clock?

I trust you take my point?

And if you search on the Internet, you'll find loads of such examples, and also ex-demonstrator cars (some with the spec you want), with not much more miles on the clock than that Ghia! All it takes is a little effort

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ive only bought one new motor; again it was just to have that brand spanking feel... silly I know but everyone should have it once.

It's very silly lol, when you consider my reply to Dave!

You choose:

A 'brand new' car, replete with "brand spanking feel", with 7 miles on the clock, for thousands of pounds less.

Or a brand new car, with no miles on the clock, for thousands of pounds more. Both have the same "brand spanking feel".

Surely only the daftest of daftees would opt for the latter?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    How much did you save on the price of a brand new (never been driven) Ghia, and with only 7 miles on the clock, how less a "pleasant experience" do you think it delivered than a full price one with no miles on the clock?

I trust you take my point?
    I think the price difference between the list price, which I guess some people might have paid, and what we actually paid, was about £3k. For that car the pleasure was virtually identical to a car which had not been pre-registered. I don’t think even new cars are guaranteed to have no miles on the clock.

After we bought it the press started to alarm people by hinting that cars such as mine were somehow “inferior” imports - but I took that as scaremongering. After all, as noted in the first post, many cars are now imported - but the technical difference may be in paperwork, and tariffs. The car was really nice, and served its purpose well.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast