+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why memories of music cannot be lost to Alzheimer's and dementia

I'm Leo.

Default Why memories of music cannot be lost to Alzheimer's and dementia

I'm brian.

Thanks for that link. I enjoyed seeing Henry’s story.

My dad had Alzheimer’s and passed away early this year after a long decline. So, I know the score.

For the last few years I have gone into Care homes with a jazz trio to play for the guests, and regularly see a similar reaction to Henrys.

Folks who had been sleeping suddenly waking up and singing along. Some even get up if they can and try to dance.

Recently an old lady who had been asleep, woke up, prised herself up and on to her zimmer, took about 10minutes to get over to where we were, motioned for me to move a little, then came and joined us and faced her chums. Beaming from ear to ear to be part of the band.

Without any doubt, music can stimulate a reaction in some folks. It is fantastic.

Ps some folks charge a fee to go in and play. I dont.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    Thanks for that link. I enjoyed seeing Henry’s story.

My dad had Alzheimer’s and passed away early this year after a long decline. So, I know the score.

For the last few years I have gone into Care homes with a jazz trio to play for the guests, and regularly see a similar reaction to Henrys.

Folks who had been sleeping suddenly waking up and singing along. Some even get up if they can and try to dance.

Recently an old lady who had been asleep, woke up, prised herself up and on to her zimmer, took about 10minutes to get over to where we were, motioned for me to move a little, then came and joined us and faced her chums. Beaming from ear to ear to be part of the band.

Without any doubt, music can stimulate a reaction in some folks. It is fantastic.

Ps some folks charge a fee to go in and play. I dont.
    Thanks for sharing that Brian. Not sure what to say really, except respect to you. Respect.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    It is fantastic..
    Absolutely. Well done you!
    Rob.