+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best nearfield loudspeakers: Recommendations, please?

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    To be honest Panos I never thought the LS3/5a's sounded 'small'.. they just sounded fantastic to me... one of the very few speakers that I'd consider owning again...
    Hi,
    in order to avoid any misunderstandings, I agree that my Falcons LS3/5a have a huge soundstage. It's the bottom end that's lacking, and which I would prefer to have more "body". Apologies if I have not expressed myself correctly, but English is not my mother language... -))
    Last edited by pankon; 16-08-2019 at 11:04.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Dennis.

I've never really understood the love for the LS3/5a, although I recognise that it is very good for its intended purpose, speech monitoring in a confined space.

It has serious coloration around 1K, and a restricted bandwidth, which of course makes it good for speech intelligibility, but it was never intended to be a wide band device.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I've never really understood the love for the LS3/5a, although I recognise that it is very good for its intended purpose, speech monitoring in a confined space.

It has serious coloration around 1K, and a restricted bandwidth, which of course makes it good for speech intelligibility, but it was never intended to be a wide band device.
    I agree. They were designed as a Class II monitor of speech for use in outside broadcast vans, and hence near-field. http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1976-29.pdf

The fact they make a decent fist of reproducing music does them credit, and being of small size makes them desirable; but not to the absurd prices being asked for these days.
    Barry

I'm Panos.

Default Nearfield loudspeaker suggestions

In order to remain on topic and not to stray away by discrediting or commending the sound of LS3/5a, a kind reminder that the request of the thread is to suggest nearfield speakers/monitors.

Thanks again for any feedback.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm James.

A left field suggestion, Acoustic Energy AE1 either the Mk1 or the Mk3. I have Mk3 and they are tiny, crystal clear, propulsive, flat to 40Hz in room, and perfect for near field. Soundstaging is excellent. The Mk3 is a good looking speaker too.

Needs quality amplification and some power, your Croft should be a decent match. Disliked in the past, often because they were teamed with inferior amplification, they almost never turn up for sale and won't be too pricey. Maybe that tells its own story?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Default Best nearfield loudspeakers: Recommendations, please?

I use a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20s in the bedroom which I suppose could be classed as nearfield, bass can be tuned somewhat with the supplied port bungs but tbh I find them better without.
    For under £300 I think they’re pretty unbeatable.
    The photo is quite old, I don’t have the Amptastic Mini or the Xiang Sheng DAC 01 anymore, replaced the amp with a EU spec Onkyo A9010 which has a Wolfson DAC onboard, top shelf has an ATLP5 on it now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 16-08-2019 at 18:16.

I'm Simon.

I've never seen speakers so close to the sofa before.

Do you pull them into position each time or do they stay like that permanently?

I have my speakers 1.4m from my ears and I thought that was pretty close but you got me beat.

I'm using Harbeth M30.1s and I do find they give much more body (as you would expect) over the P3s I was previously using. I bet the SHL5 Plus sound even better at nearfield.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    I've never seen speakers so close to the sofa before.

Do you pull them into position each time or do they stay like that permanently?

I have my speakers 1.4m from my ears and I thought that was pretty close but you got me beat.

I'm using Harbeth M30.1s and I do find they give much more body (as you would expect) over the P3s I was previously using. I bet the SHL5 Plus sound even better at nearfield.
    Simon, because I use both the Harbeth SHL5 Plus and the Falcon LS3/5a alternatively, I usually have the Harbeths at 1.4m from my listening position (tweeter to ear), and when I want to listen to the Falcons, I pull them in place at approx. 1m from the listening position. Yes, I do like them VERY close.

It's an easy, no-cost experiment, that everyone can try. And if one does not like such close-up positioning, it's always reversible.

Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary.jpg

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Hello,

over time, I have come to prefer listening in the nearfield, which to my ears provides more pleasing results. As a matter of fact, the same applies not only for my Falcon LS3/5a (1m from my listening position), but also for my Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary (1.1m from my listening position).

With nearfield, I am achieving more and finer detail, less interaction with the room and the amp needs less power to achieve a certain sound volume.

In case there are other nearfield listeners out there, which speakers would you recommend for such listening?

Thanks in advance,
    Panos

Attachment 26500
    Hope you have seen my reply to your more recent post on LS3/5a. In context with that response I also substitute my Spendor S3 speakers in my near field listening scenario. The Spendors are similar to look at as the LS3/5a and are the same size but rotated 90 degrees. These speakers have a better handle on the frequency extremes but still keep most of the sweet midband of the LS3/5a.

They are far from bass monsters but for example I find the Falcons are not good in a normal room positioning scenario (ie the opposite end of the room to you) but the Spendors can do this job and in such a situation the neccessary inclreased volume delivers the bass I like.

The Spendors also work very well with my MJ sub.

Mel

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post

...but for example I find the Falcons are not good in a normal room positioning scenario (ie the opposite end of the room to you) but the Spendors can do this job and in such a situation the neccessary inclreased volume delivers the bass I like.

The Spendors also work very well with my MJ sub.

Mel
    Mel,

IMHO small speakers in the normal listening position, i.e. at the other end of the room, cannot reproduce the sense of scale necessary for making music realistic and believable. Some small speakers, e.g. Harbeth P3ESR (maybe even the Spendor S3?), have a clear mid bass bump to overcome that limitation and make the small speakers sound bigger in the room. And furthermore, one may be forced to drive the speakers at higher volumes (harder than what would be 'normal' for the speakers) to make them sound more convincing. And I am not even touching the challenge of room contribution in the overall sound (a major issue), unless the room has been measured and treated accordingly.

If one has flexibility with room placement, then nearfield listening can be very rewarding. One does not have to exert small speakers to make them sound realistic. But then again a small speaker can only go that low, until it rolls off significantly (70Hz?). Hence the need for a subwoofer, provided it can be well integrated with the speakers and the room. Not easy, I agree. But is it possible and thus worth trying?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast