+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best nearfield loudspeakers: Recommendations, please?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Yes, as a matter of fact, the Falcons are great. You do not realize they are there... If only they had a slightly bigger "body". I wonder whether a well-integrated subwoofer might help in the region 35-80Hz.
    Where is the sweet spot on that sofa. Looks to be on the crack between cushions. If you sit on either cushion there will be a massive imbalance in volume.
    Secondly regarding sub woofer, I would be surprised if your speakers are getting anywhere near 80 Hz without wall reinforcement.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Geoff.

I draw your attention once again to the Martin Logan Motion range. I have the 2i model but the 4i is probably best suited to your needs. These are serious speakers with huge dynamics, detail and imaging. Unlike the LS3/5a's they are designed to be used with a sub-woofer, and there is a purpose designed model for that purpose. In consequence they don't have an artificially engineered midrange hump. I love my Rogers LS3/5's but they cannot compete with the Motions and their air motion ribbon tweeters.

This is a link to a review of the speakers. Towards the end of the review the reviewer uses the speakers in a 2:1 configuration and tries out the ARC option which your room would probably need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6SSEnMbrJg
    Last edited by Sherwood; 27-08-2019 at 08:14.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Where is the sweet spot on that sofa. Looks to be on the crack between cushions. If you sit on either cushion there will be a massive imbalance in volume.
    Secondly regarding sub woofer, I would be surprised if your speakers are getting anywhere near 80 Hz without wall reinforcement.
    Indeed, Chris, even a 3-5cm right or left from the middle of the couch (the crack, as you are saying) is outside the sweet spot. But the sweet spot, is really... "spot-on" and very sweet. Some recent measurements in the room showed that the Falcons can go down to 70Hz, while the Harbeths go down to 40Hz, of course away from the room.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Neil.

Default Best nearfield loudspeakers: Recommendations, please?

Royd Sorcerers don’t work too well in medium to larger rooms, unless using a sub, but they are excellent nearfield. Much more raw than Harbeths, but also much more incisive and open. Snare hits sound like snare hits, and ‘really cut through the air’ like I think Richard (Gromit) remarked about his Merlins, which are Sorcerers minus the steel plate mass damping.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234