+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best nearfield loudspeakers: Recommendations, please?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Thanks. Which model? My amps are Croft Series7R monoblocks (110W).

A kind reminder that I am looking for suggestions for nearfield listening.
    Yup, I'm about 8ft away, maybe less. If your requirements are nearfield due to space restrictions then they are not the speaker for you (require a few feet behind) but if you are nearfield for the listening experience I've heard no better.

There has been some discussion regarding nearfield listening on here recently and some people would consider anything more than 6-7ft no longer nearfield however given the size and soundstage of the Quads anything under 10ft away and you are just completely immersed. They can be enjoyed as far as 20ft+ away without much issue so relative to the speaker I would offer that 8ft is nearfield.

They are Quad 63's driven by a Ming Da KT88 push pull amp pumping out around 50w. I am also currently driving them with a custom 300b amp in parallel configuration giving 18w. Not as dynamic as the Ming Da but its undeniably lush and romantic. Not in a "too tubey" way either, its just so rich and full bodied.

I also use original ESL's (57's) to great effect from even closer. They have ultimate "hear through" midrange which lends itself wonderfully to nearfield I have found.

The crofts would be too powerful for the 57's but could be very nice indeed with the 63's. (rated at 100w+).

I would say you're welcome to a listen (which you still are!) but its a bit of a way . . .

Cheers.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Rob.

If you fancy something a little different I'd suggest giving a pair of Fujitsu Eclipse speakers a try. They replaced my Spendor S3/5R2 speakers in my system, initially with some TD508 and now some TD512. There are some on ebay at the moment.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm David.

Something else out out of the ordinary and rarely seen for sale used (in the UK at least) are these Audience 1+1s
    I have a pair of the single driver Audience 1s, which are amazing little speakers. I'd imagine the 1+1s are even better!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

The only nearfield speakers I've owned were the LS3/5a's and they are amazing when used that way... expensive, yes, but they are very good indeed
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Edward.

I'm currently listening to 15 inch Tannoys where the drivers are about 2.3m away from my lugholes. It 'feels' nearfield.

Immersive, detailed, natural.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Attachment 26501

Quads. They are like giant cans anyway.

A seriously immersive experience.
    I used to have 57s either end of my (sandwich making)work bench for a while, early 80s! Definitely good!
    I only had a cafe so I could listen to my choice of music all day.
    Old employee winced when hearing Andreas Vollenweider AGAIN!
    Chris.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    The only nearfield speakers I've owned were the LS3/5a's and they are amazing when used that way... expensive, yes, but they are very good indeed
    Oh yes, indeed! If only they could sound a tad “bigger”...
    Last edited by pankon; 15-08-2019 at 20:46.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Oh yes, indeed! If only the could sound a tad “bigger”...
    To be honest Panos I never thought the LS3/5a's sounded 'small'.. they just sounded fantastic to me... one of the very few speakers that I'd consider owning again...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    In my experimentation with my Maggies (1.7s) I have had very good results with nearfield listening: better than LS3/5a's in fact. For a while I had the Maggies positioned so that they were nearer to me than they were to the rear wall.

For nearfield listening I would point the OP to another speaker I own, the Martin Logan Motion 2i. These are seriously underrated speakers and I prefer them to my Rogers LS3/5a speakers. They are hugely detailed and dynamic and have a speed of response that is awesome. I use mine in a bedroom system where their tonal balance suits perfectly. However, the OP would probably prefer to use them with a subwoofer of some sort especially as their placement would offer no rear wall bass enhancement. Another plus for nearfield listening is their small size which makes them less visually intimidating. Another possibility is ceiling mounting just forward of the listening position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    In my experimentation with my Maggies (1.7s) I have had very good results with nearfield listening: better than LS3/5a's in fact. For a while I had the Maggies positioned so that they were nearer to me than they were to the rear wall.

For nearfield listening I would point the OP to another speaker I own, the Martin Logan Motion 2i. These are seriously underrated speakers and I prefer them to my Rogers LS3/5a speakers. They are hugely detailed and dynamic and have a speed of response that is awesome. I use mine in a bedroom system where their tonal balance suits perfectly. However, the OP would probably prefer to use them with a subwoofer of some sort especially as their placement would offer no rear wall bass enhancement. Another plus for nearfield listening is their small size which makes them less visually intimidating. Another possibility is ceiling mounting just forward of the listening position.
    Well Geoff my Maggies are in a fairly small room... not exactly 'nearfield' I guess but not far off... would I swap them for 3/5a's? absolutely not

Those ML Motion's look interesting...

I love that I'm 100% happy with the Maggies though... definitely my long-term keepers...
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast