+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best nearfield loudspeakers: Recommendations, please?

I'm Panos.

Default Best nearfield loudspeakers: Recommendations, please?

Hello,

over time, I have come to prefer listening in the nearfield, which to my ears provides more pleasing results. As a matter of fact, the same applies not only for my Falcon LS3/5a (1m from my listening position), but also for my Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary (1.1m from my listening position).

With nearfield, I am achieving more and finer detail, less interaction with the room and the amp needs less power to achieve a certain sound volume.

In case there are other nearfield listeners out there, which speakers would you recommend for such listening?

Thanks in advance,
    Panos

IMG_4300.jpg
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Martin.

Can't really help on the recommendation but I guess P3ESR would be good but I reckon you'd know that already. That setup may sound great but it'd never get past my wife lol....

I'm Panos.

Hi Martin,

thanks for your suggestion. As a matter of fact, I used to own P3ESR for several years, but IMHO the Falcons are better, quicker and (even) more natural.

I'm wondering whether Snell or Audionote K type or J type could be used in nearfield...
    Last edited by pankon; 15-08-2019 at 09:36.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm gone.

Wow, that IS nearfield!

Tbh - I can't imagine Audionote or Snell speakers being "more natural" than your Falcons or old Harbies, they are great fun but they are significantly coloured imo. As an alternative to the LS35a, maybe, but not as a replacement, I suspect.

I'm Deleted.

The Audionote speakers are designed to be wall loaded so they won’t work at their best if used as per your photograph.
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

i'd use cans if your listening that close personally
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Wow, that IS nearfield!

Tbh - I can't imagine Audionote or Snell speakers being "more natural" than your Falcons or old Harbies, they are great fun but they are significantly coloured imo. As an alternative to the LS35a, maybe, but not as a replacement, I suspect.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, the Falcons are great. You do not realize they are there... If only they had a slightly bigger "body". I wonder whether a well-integrated subwoofer might help in the region 35-80Hz.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i'd use cans if your listening that close personally
    Thanks for the suggestion, but not a fan of cans myself. I do not think they can beat the Falcons in soundstaging...

I'm Chris.

Cool

IMAG2007.jpg

Quads. They are like giant cans anyway.

A seriously immersive experience.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    IMAG2007.jpg

Quads. They are like giant cans anyway.

A seriously immersive experience.
    Thanks. Which model? My amps are Croft Series7R monoblocks (110W).

A kind reminder that I am looking for suggestions for nearfield listening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast