+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Airgun licensing

I'm Martin.

I have a Weihrauch HW97K sub 12ft/lb and I would not want to be shot with it. It would definitely kill someone, no doubt about it.

I've not looked into it so not sure what the licensing thoughts are but don't forget there's a huge difference between a shotgun licence and an FAC for example. The shotgun licence is a right and the authorities need to show why you should NOT have one (I know about the circumstances that preclude it, certain jail sentences, mental health etc) whereas the FAC is a privilege and the onus is on the person wanting it to prove why they should have one. Lots and lots of stipulation on categories and conditions on an FAC too and things can be removed if they are not used and so on. Far more difficult to get and if air rifles go this way it will be a challenge for a lot of folk saying why they want one.

I'm Gary.

That’s where the law is an ass, every air rifle sold is “capable” of exceeding 12 ftlbs.

If the authorities ever had a test house to test and your rifle recorded 12 ftlbs your clear, if 12.1 then it’s a firearm and I think the latest penalty is up to 10 years at her majesty’s pleasure.

I do have an FAC but my air rifle is not listed on it.

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Neal.

It’s a solution looking for an issue. The amount of knife crime is way more serious and a much much larger issue than that of air gun licensing.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    I have a Weihrauch HW97K sub 12ft/lb and I would not want to be shot with it. It would definitely kill someone, no doubt about it.

I've not looked into it so not sure what the licensing thoughts are but don't forget there's a huge difference between a shotgun licence and an FAC for example. The shotgun licence is a right and the authorities need to show why you should NOT have one (I know about the circumstances that preclude it, certain jail sentences, mental health etc) whereas the FAC is a privilege and the onus is on the person wanting it to prove why they should have one. Lots and lots of stipulation on categories and conditions on an FAC too and things can be removed if they are not used and so on. Far more difficult to get and if air rifles go this way it will be a challenge for a lot of folk saying why they want one.
    Lots of items can kill given the right circumstances, a 12 ftlbs air rifle cannot be considered as capable of killing unless it's at very close range and hits vital areas such as the eye. If anyone feels the their rifle is capable of killing they MUST have its power checked.

I don't think having a shotgun can be a right, there are certain conditions that have to be met including why you need one, an easy answer but you need this. A gun cabinet that has to be inspected is a prerequisite too.

Gary

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    It’s a solution looking for an issue. The amount of knife crime is way more serious and a much much larger issue than that of air gun licensing.
    I agree the media (political intervention) are hoping to link air gun/rifle possession with knife crime as a way of conning the general public that they are doing something to combat said knife crime, pathetic really.

But the great unwashed are easily lead.

Gary

I'm Geoff.

A bow and arrow or crossbow are far more dangerous than air weapons. There doesn't seem to be much of a clamour to control those.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A bow and arrow or crossbow are far more dangerous than air weapons. There doesn't seem to be much of a clamour to control those.
    As always it's political smoke and mirrors!

Gary

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Lots of items can kill given the right circumstances, a 12 ftlbs air rifle cannot be considered as capable of killing unless it's at very close range and hits vital areas such as the eye. If anyone feels the their rifle is capable of killing they MUST have its power checked.

I don't think having a shotgun can be a right, there are certain conditions that have to be met including why you need one, an easy answer but you need this. A gun cabinet that has to be inspected is a prerequisite too.

Gary
    The point i was trying to make is that it is a powerful weapon and is designed to shoot at things. Yes a lead pipe is probably just as destructive but I hope you see my point.

A shotgun licence is a right, you cannot be refused one unless you meet certain documented criteria. If you say I want to go clay pigeon shooting and you've not had a 3 year or longer prison sentence (I think that's the term) or have mental issues etc you cannot be refused. Not the same for a FAC where you can be refused unless you show absolute good reason for why you need one. Just saying I want to shoot vermin, or even that you want to go down the local shooting range won't necessarily get you a licence.

Edit - Of course you have to meet the appropriate storage conditions.

I'm Neal.

I would have thought a shotgun licence or any government issued licence would be a privilege not a right. It can be revoked at anytime.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Martin.

With legislation most probably, but unless I commit some sort of crime (not necessarily gun related) or become mentally unstable (Doctor needs to verify) there would be no grounds to come and take my shotguns away from me. If I had a FAC on the grounds of a permission where I could lawfully use those firearms and that permission went away then I guess that could be grounds of taking away the firearms as I'd have no need (I don't know of that being tested btw) of them. However, if my local clay shooting ground closed down that would be no grounds for me losing them. There is a definite difference of right and privilege between the two certificates.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast