+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Airgun licensing

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I think the restrictions on air rifles are to do with muzzle energy, regardless of bore size. Most air rifles can use a .177 barrel or .22, some even .25. But on any given weapon a .177 pellet will have a greater muzzle velocity than a .22, but the pellet itself will weigh less. a physics thing I guess.

If my HW97k air rifle had a .177 barrel on it, the muzzle velocity would probably be around 800 fps, which is about the same as a Colt .45 ACP pistol. But I know which one would do the greater harm. All down to velocity/mass I reckon.
    Absolutely Steve.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    My overall view is that they are mischevious weapons that soon get used for all sorts of wrongdoing. Bit of a sweeping statement but I'll let it go because "mischevious" made me laugh

Thay have no place outside the locked cabinets of a licensed shooting range. Same goes for crossbows or any dangerous projectile weapon. So you'd ban all pest control?

Kids get bored and then everything gets shot...animals..... windows...people.... the lot. "Kids" aren't allowed to buy or use airguns.

Personally I think they are interesting for about half an hour and then I can see no point. Ive never been interested in owning one and that tells me a lot about the owners. I watch some of them and its clear they get their rocks off from owning and parading a weapon. I can think of countless things I would rather be doing. Bit like my opinion of Jetskiers then?

So yes heavily restrict them with a view to a ban Again, just like my opinion of Jetskis. However, I recognise that it's my ignorance and prejudice along with some past bad experiences that's affecting me.
    Not being a regular member of this forum I've just thought to my self "have I been trolled?"

I'm Gary.

I try too Mike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I try too Mike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's quite a nice photograph is that...the best type of shooting, in my humble opinion...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Gary.

Thanks Alan, I love this type of shooting too.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Vince.

I love my photography as well, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy my air rifle also.
    The general airgun owners as responsible law abiding citizens. They also are responsible for quite a bit of unpaid vermin control, this rarely gets a mention. I personally have shot untold numbers of rats, would you want them to get even more prevalent than they already are. I live next to a lot of farmland, but the worst hit areas, in my opinion, at least where I live are the local allotments. The allotment owners will tell you, they are more than ever immune to poisons and the traps are only enough for one rat at time. Myself and a couple of friends had permission to shoot on a pig farm and one day the farmer asked us if we could do anything with his plague of rats. We were shooting between 10 to 50 per night, it was infested. My point being, there was no damage or noise and both parties were happy. It cost the farmer nothing and because of the job we had done, we were invited to many more farms, and golf courses, though they were mainly for rabbits. If the air rifles were licensed, it may have been different or may not have happened in the first place. I'm really not sure if I would put up with the hassle of a licence for my air rifle and if licences are introduced, is the government going to compensate me for £800 my air rifle setup has cost me. As I mentioned before, we have some of the tightest gun laws in the world and because of an extremely small percentage of the population, do we all have to pay. It has been hinted that because of global warming, all high current, ie. class A gear may become illegal. Yet another stupid law as the high current gear in this country amounts to next to nothing, but it is still being considered apparently. How would the Hi-Fi fraternity feel about being told what kit you are allowed to own. I held my shotgun certificate for over 30 years without a blip on my record. I don't want to, nor should I be pushed into having to get a licence for something that is a peashooter compared to a shotgun. Don't let the government walk all over us all the time. Let common sense prevail.

I'm malcolm.

There'll be a call to ban Nerf guns next.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Grant.

A call to ban hifi
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A call to ban hifi
    And watches and coffee.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Vince.

Yep that's what I read in Hi-Fi News, I think. There is a call to reduce carbon footprint by out lawing big heavy class A and valve amps. FFS, I have a big Musical Fidelity AMS 35I, pure class A and the oven, toaster and kettle draw more juice. I tried it out with a mains block that had a display of the power it was drawing. Oh and my old plasma tv as well. There has got to someone in charge who has a half grasp of common sense. I'm totally law abiding and they want to make me have a license for a gun that is below 12ft lbs. I know it is within power as Bagnall and Kirkwood in Newcastle serviced it for me and set it up to within allowance. Then the powers to be want me to get shot of my amp.....no probs.....cough up th £6000 it originally cost and the upgrades on top. Yeah no chance. We just keep getting kicked in the teeth over things that are blown all out of proportion, and we, the British, just accept it. Please for the sake of my sanity, find someone in charge with the tiniest bit of sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast