+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compare kenwood Kp990 and pioneer pl560

I'm Hugo.

The Kenwood's arm is much better than its tacky 1980s looks might suggest; indeed it is probably better than the Technics arm, but I've never done that comparison. But, your observations about the Technics' 'slightly edgy sound' are most likely a reflection of its drive system - Technics themselves admitted that the old direct drive system had inherent 'cogging' and their new motor designs solve that. Funnily enough, Technics have now adopted the same overlapping flat-wound motor coil topology that Kenwood (and others) used long ago, to very good effect in your deck (and my KD-990). The old Technics cogging was clearly seen on the polar speed plots done by PaulR over at PFM, which I can't find for the moment. That cogging is a form of jitter which is not measurable by normal W&F techniques, but the tiny rotational stability variations are easily picked up by the human auditory system; and time purity is a key component of musical enjoyment. Your Kenwood does not suffer from such time anomalies and if it performs like mine is by any standard a superb musical deck that would most likely give some very expensive high-end turntables of today a lesson in playing music.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeyfaz View Post
    Well, that didn't go according to plan!

Got my KD990 out from under the bed and took it downstairs and gave it dust and a polish. Plugged it into the Faz hifi and straight away I thought this sounds better than my Technics. Swapped my cartridge back and forth between the two decks (the benefit of detachable headshell) and the Kenwood is definitely warmer and fuller sounding. It's not a night and day difference but the slightly edgy sound that I've experienced with the Technics is not there in the Kenwood. Some of the recent reissued records by the Rolling Stones were a bit in my face before, but now they're more listenable.

I honestly didn't think I'd notice any difference, so just goes to show. I'm wondering if the Kenwood tonearm is responsible as I know some folk have said the Techics arm is a bit resonant.

Anyway, that does mean the Kenwood is not now going up for sale. Sorry Papa Dee.

Mike

I'm Mike.

Hi Hugo

That's really interesting stuff. Especially that Technics appear to be using that 'old' Kenwood technology in their new decks!
    Mike.

I'm Hugo.

Not just Kenwood's technology, but a better way to design and build a direct drive motor!

I'm Mike.

I'll have to try and get to listen to one of the new Technics one day. In the meantime I'm going to hang on to both of my KD990s.
    Mike.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    The Kenwood's arm is much better than its tacky 1980s looks might suggest; indeed it is probably better than the Technics arm, but I've never done that comparison. But, your observations about the Technics' 'slightly edgy sound' are most likely a reflection of its drive system - Technics themselves admitted that the old direct drive system had inherent 'cogging' and their new motor designs solve that. Funnily enough, Technics have now adopted the same overlapping flat-wound motor coil topology that Kenwood (and others) used long ago, to very good effect in your deck (and my KD-990). The old Technics cogging was clearly seen on the polar speed plots done by PaulR over at PFM, which I can't find for the moment. That cogging is a form of jitter which is not measurable by normal W&F techniques, but the tiny rotational stability variations are easily picked up by the human auditory system; and time purity is a key component of musical enjoyment. Your Kenwood does not suffer from such time anomalies and if it performs like mine is by any standard a superb musical deck that would most likely give some very expensive high-end turntables of today a lesson in playing music.
    I think the Kenwood's superb cast alloy chassis also contributes to it's reputation for being a cut above the average dd deck of the period.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    I think the Kenwood's superb cast alloy chassis also contributes to it's reputation for being a cut above the average dd deck of the period.
    Well, yes that too! Mine should be sporting its 12" Reed 3P very soon.

I'm Mike.

Another thing I've noticed is that I'm not having to turn the volume knob up on my NAD amp so much. It didn't need to go up much before with the Technics (small room and reasonably efficient speakers I guess) but it's noticeably less now. Not sure why though!
    Mike.

I'm Dee.

When I originally started this thread I had wanted to make a sideways move to a direct drive deck as opposed to the Thorens Td 160 Super which is my stalwart ,favourite and long term principal front end.
    I have owned the Thorens for over 30 years and just fancy a change.
    I had narrowed the field down to the kenwood Kd 990 and the pioneer Pl560.I have had a lot of very positive input regarding the kenwood but nothing,one way or another regarding the Pioneer. Is there anyone out there familiar with both decks and thus able to provide a valid comparison and I mean real world evaluation.Not just web based reviews.The field is extended to the Pl590.. Im not sure if there is a massive difference between the two Pioneers.Currently I’m leaning very heavily towards the Kenwood.Any advice greatly appreciated...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123