+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Conundrum of Bluetooth Codecs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Hal.

Default A Conundrum of Bluetooth Codecs

I thought Bluetooth codecs could be summed up in just a few sentences, and went something like "SBC bad, AAC not much better, Aptx good, Sony LDAC best".
    The more I get into it the more confusing and less clear cut it gets. To back up a bit, I will soon have a AKG N70NC bluetooth, noise cancelling headphone as part of a Samsung phone promotion, a model that has received a lot of flack for only having SBC and AAC codecs. If i interpret everything right, AAC would be fine if the music files had a data stream of less than about 300kb/second, but my uncompressed Flac music library usually plays at double this or more, which I assume means the tablet will start compressing everything to send over the Bluetooth link. I can of course use the wired connection, and probably will most of the time, but the convenience of just using the headphones wirelessly is pretty appealing, especially if there's a cat wanting to sit on my lap at the same time.
    To confuse things more, I've enabled developer options in the Samsung tablet which allow some customizing of the installed codecs, including data rates, but I can't play with them till I get the headphones and the tablet pairs up.
    So, can I ask, is AAC really only for low data rate applications, like Spotify, YouTube etc, and, if I use it to stream regular Redbook CD music files, will it degrade them and by roughly how much?
    Thanks in advance,
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Grant.

I use bluetooth a lot with my cans... my Nuras are hd aptx and my sonys do ldac as well.. rates for every version here

Codecs and Bitrates Comparison

AAC: 250 kbps
    SBC: 328 kbps
    aptX: 352 kbps
    aptX HD: 576 kbps
    LDAC: 990 kbps

Ldac comes out best but aptx hd isnt far behind sound wise. I have used aac on something; might have been my old iphone and tbh it was fine but not as good.. ldac is pretty much close as damn it flac level imo... needs a good transmitter tho they are available on most modern android phones. ive a sony phone so its part parcel in there. if you can get aptx hd you will be happy enough tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hal.

Thanks for that, looking forward to getting them late August and trying them out. o
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Hal.

Interestingly I sent a query to AKG asking if the revised CM2 version of this headphone had better codec support and this was the answer
    Reply from AKG over codec issue. "Latency is a tradeoff with robustness for Bluetooth connections. If you accept more latency, you will gain a more robust connection, and that is why we have done it the way we have.

BT is in itself a limitation on signal quality, and it was decided that audio quality would not be much better with other systems. Real high-resolution sound is possible only over cable, from a hi-res player, and this is an option on N700NC."

Ok, I'll be very interested to see how it goes off my headphone/dac combinations. Hoping it's really good, but I'm still a bit annoyed that you can't use this to wirelessly watch late night tennis and cricket (next test starts in a few hours) without latency issues.

I'm Hal.

Interestingly I sent a query to AKG asking if the revised CM2 version of this headphone had better codec support and this was the answer
    Reply from AKG over codec issue. "Latency is a tradeoff with robustness for Bluetooth connections. If you accept more latency, you will gain a more robust connection, and that is why we have done it the way we have.

BT is in itself a limitation on signal quality, and it was decided that audio quality would not be much better with other systems. Real high-resolution sound is possible only over cable, from a hi-res player, and this is an option on N700NC."

Ok, I'll be very interested to see how it goes off my headphone/dac combinations. Hoping it's really good, but I'm still a bit annoyed that you can't use this to wirelessly watch late night tennis and cricket (next test starts in a few hours) without latency issues.

I'm Grant.

latency shouldnt be an issue tbh if they did their job right. Robustness my arse. I can take my Nuras upstairs and they still play fine on apex hd. can even go out back a bit. Im awaiting the new Nuras arrival. they are mini headphones.. both are learning tho and adapt to your hearing through an app on phone initially for set up. They are expensive but work fantastically well. especially if your getting older as your hearing does change.
    I might add Nura are Aussie company I think so might be cheaper over there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hal.

And just to finish off, the headphones turned up last Friday and, hilariously, needed to have Developer Options enabled on the phone it was packaged with enabled, and hidden settings amended otherwise volume was cripplingly low. Once enabled, it sounds brilliant. Next surprise was hooking it up to my external Dac/headphone amp and hearing the already impressive quality go through the roof. Beautiful set of cans indeed, better than my Audio Technica AD900s, admittedly now getting rather old, and on a par but different to Hifiman 400s. Very impressed by AKG.
    (And that was an incredible cricket match last night, unbelievable that England pulled off the win)

+ Reply to Thread