+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cartridges

I'm Steve.

I had a Benz Wood SL which I did quite enjoy until the diamond tip fell off.

In sensible fashion instead of repairing it I bought a factory refurbed Ortofon Jubilee direct from Ortofon. I have had it for a couple of years and absolutely love it.

As you have a Glider which is pretty decent something along the Cadenza range should be a step up although the Jubilee has a nice shibata tip!
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm John.

I've got a Hana SL, which I am familiar with in my home system.
    I have a standard Ortofon K'b, but I am only familiar with a standard K'b, in a friends system.
    I have rebuilt K,b with to date approximately 30 hours usage, that I am familiar with in my system as well as in a few different friends systems.
    I have not compared the above cartridges on the same TT, Tonearm and Stand, so there will be very noticeable differences in presentations.
    The PTP Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V Micrometer > Hana SL, when played through the home system, presents itself as a OK MC, if it is the only MC listened to, it will leave a good impression.
    The standard Ortofon K'b, on a pristine serviced 401 in a 9 stone Granite Plinth > pristine serviced SME 3009, played in a friends system sounds OK, but when compared to the rebuilt K'b in the exact same system, the rebuilt K'b surpasses the standard one in all areas, leaving a very good impression.
    The rebuilt K'b in another friends System, used on the same TT, Tonearm and Stand, when compared to rebuilt a Ortofon Vienna, sounds superb, even though in my view the Vienna gets more from the lower end of the scale, that I feel makes it the better cartridge.
    As the rebuilt K'b receives more usage, there may be a little more to show in the lower registers .
    When the Pristine Serviced SP10 > PMAT 1010 > rebuilt K'b are used in the home system, compared to the PTP set up stated above, the set up with the rebuilt K'b is my preferred presentation, but that does not discount the PTP, as it is a very adept and enjoyable TT that I am pleased to be able to use.
    I feel the OP will get great rewards if they were to go down the investigative route to find out where a rebuild could take the
    Benz cartridge, that their ear seems to have a bond with.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Slawts View Post
    I had a Benz Wood SL which I did quite enjoy until the diamond tip fell off.

In sensible fashion instead of repairing it I bought a factory refurbed Ortofon Jubilee direct from Ortofon. I have had it for a couple of years and absolutely love it.

As you have a Glider which is pretty decent something along the Cadenza range should be a step up although the Jubilee has a nice shibata tip!
    Good info, thanks.

My previous opinion on the P8 is on hold as I think it's either a) a poor match between the glider and P8/arm or b) the glider is worn as it is getting on in hours.

I've got another cart to try before making up my mind, but it's interesting to hear your thoughts on the Ortofons, the only thing putting me off something like a Cadenza is the requirement for endless arm adjustment to set up the VTA, it would mean spacers and a lot of faffing around I think. If you do a search around the net there's lots of posts from people unsure whether it's set up right or not with the arm in all manner of funky positions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234