+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cartridges

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    Thanks, I'm not a fan of Rega carts, even less so after owning an Apheta 1, so I don't think I'll be adding either of those to the list, cheers anyway.
    Yes, the Apheta 1 was horrendous. The Ania isn't.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Not necessarily in the "high end" class of the ART range but I've just started to break in an AT OC9XEN (nude elliptical) cart. So far its up there with a friends Hana and I would say the only MC under a grand that I like as much as my Benz Micro ACE SL. There is literally nothing missing from its performance so far.
    I’ve just started to brake in an AT-OC9XSH which even out of the box shamed my Hana SL and AT33PTG/II. I am convinced that it also beat the Cadenza Black (it shouldn’t as it’s a 3rd of the price). I love the sound of Shibata tipped styli, which may have something to do with it.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Matt.

Does anyone else find the current AT MC line up really confusing? Are they planning on phasing some of the older models out or is this line up going to run as is? You've got all these new variants of the OC9 which cross over with current variants of the AT33 with eliptical, ML and Shibata stylus', so where does that leave models like the PTG and 33Sa?

It all seems a bit daft if you ask me, how on earth someone is supposed to pick one of those lot is beyond me.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    Does anyone else find the current AT MC line up really confusing? Are they planning on phasing some of the older models out or is this line up going to run as is? You've got all these new variants of the OC9 which cross over with current variants of the AT33 with eliptical, ML and Shibata stylus', so where does that leave models like the PTG and 33Sa?

It all seems a bit daft if you ask me, how on earth someone is supposed to pick one of those lot is beyond me.
    Your right of course. Trying to get a demo of a Phono cartridge is nigh on impossible and with the huge choice that Audio Technica gives us it very nearly guesswork. I chose my new cartridge because a) I like Shibata styli and b)it’s the only AT cartridge range that has threaded fixing holes which makes fitting easier with my 70yr old fingers and thumb.
    I have used Ortofon cartridges for over 5 decades and at a recent dealer event I attended they all sounded remarkably similar with prices from a few hundred to many thousands so I became a little dissatisfied with the current Ortofon range and thought I would try another cartridge from Audio Technica. I already owned a AT33PTG/II which I used as an emergency spare. So far, I’m blown away by the OC9XSH which is an absolute bargain at it’s price point.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Graham.

Hi Clive, the results of your oc9 xsl sound promising. I have a 33ptg2 and an oc-9 ml ii which I prefer and am wondering what step next on the at ladder.
    I agree with matt, the AT range is confusing. My experience with the 33 ptg2 and 33ev suggests they have a fuller sound in the lower mid and bass, where the oc9 range is a little more neutral. In some decks such as technics, they can be a bit on the lean side so the 33 range will probably work better. On my Garrard 401, the 33ev was far too lush yet it is one of the cart Dave Cawley recommends for his timestep 1200s.
    The topend of the oc9 range is bewildering, microline, shibata and line contact variants. Based on my experience with the 150mlx microline and 150sa shibata, I would expect the shibata oc9xsh to outperform the microline oc9xml. However where does the line contact oc9xsl fit in? Is it 'better' or just different?
    I suspect whatever model one buys, one.will be left with the nagging thought of "have I bought the right one??!!"

I'm Clive.

Graham I understand where you are coming from and I can only state what I have found with my new AT-OC9XSH it cannot be described as lean. While I use a Technics SL1210, I have replaced the arm with an Origin Live Encounter arm which has proved far more coherent than the original arm. Interestingly I spent over 2 hrs setting up the arm and cartridge and somehow managed to find the sweetspot, which is easier said than done. The Shibata stylus is notoriously hard to set up but with time and a significant amount of patience it can be done. The sound I’m now getting after approx 12 hrs of wearing in can only be described as sublime, better even than a Cadenza Black I owned previously. I’m beginning to feel that I never managed to get the sweetspot of the Cadenza Black!! As I said, the Shibata is difficult to get right.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Chris.

I have to say I have been consistently pleased (if not amazed) by the performance of the budget to mid priced AT carts. I started with 95e's then 440MLa and 150MLx now the OC9XEN. There were consistent improvements on the way up the ladder. I don't think you can go wrong if you match the compliance of your arm and then choose the tip you like.

This is likely the reason for AT offering so many variants. Some models may not suit certain TT's/arms so AT have got everything covered. As Clive points out he is a Shibata man. I myself have been happy with the ML ones (although I've never stumped up for a Shibata yet!).

I really can't find much wrong with the OC9XEN so I would imagine the ML and SH versions are even better.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Matt.

Finally got the P8 up and running, now I've heard it the cartridge hunt is on hold. One step forward and three steps back is basically how my vinyl journey has gone.

I'm Dave.

Enjoying the P8 ?

I'm Matt.

Without waffling and mincing my words, no, not really.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast