+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartridges

I'm Matt.

Default Cartridges

I've tried a fair few but there's obviously too many to make any sort of headway into hearing anything approaching all of them.

The sort of sound I'd like is one that doesn't sacrifice detail, space, air and imaging for a bit of fluidity/warmth to the sound, I'm definitely NOT a fan of the typical "analogue" sound that people talk about when they mention warmth or smoothness etc, likewise I don't want something that is so clinical I may as well be listening to a CD Player. Has to be MC as well.

Carts that intrigue me that I haven't heard, or have any sort of clue, about are the Ortofon Cadenzas, higher end AT MCs, anything from ZYX, Hana. I'd rather not get dragged into cables/phono stages/amps/speakers debate but keep it isolated to carts if we could.

I currently use a high mileage Benz Glider SL and I'm starting to plan ahead, either to get it rebuilt or to replace it. I really like it but obviously this gives the chance to improve if it's possible at a sensible cost.

I'm Karl.

Default Cartridges

To me the AT Art 9 just does everything right and is the best iv heard up to 1500 squid .

Its hard s to find a single bad review anywhere. Seems to be one of those rare hifi products that is widely regarded. Amazing value
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Carsten.

If you already has a Benz I would make use of their exchange program to move higher up the latter.

To me it sounds as if an LP-S would be the perfect fit for you. I have heard it many times and it is probably my next cartridge-upgrade. I am currently running a Lyra Delos & Benz Ruby Z. The Benz is the best of the two to my ears: Lyra Delos plays hifi where as the Benz plays music.
    English is not my native language, so any grammar & spelling errors is due to my crappy Smartphone..

Speakers: Franco Serblin Accordo.
    Amp: Yamaha A-S2100.
    Turntable 1: Sony TTS-8000 in a TB-2000 plinth with:
    Tonearm 1: Helius Phaedra & Benz LP-S.
    Tonearm 2: Reed 2A & ?
    Turntable 2: Garrard 401, Jelco SA-750E & Shelter 501 classic.
    Phonostage: Modwright PH 9.0 w. US Amperex 7308.
    Step-up: Allnic AUT-2000.
    Head-amp: GS Elevator EXP.
    Cables: AN Qssc, Belden 8402 & Audience au24.

http://www.discogs.com/user/Nonnegativ

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    To me the AT Art 9 just does everything right and is the best iv heard up to 1500 squid .

Its hard s to find a single bad review anywhere. Seems to be one of those rare hifi products that is widely regarded. Amazing value
    Yes I must admit the ART 9 seems universally well reviewed and was certainly on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnegativ View Post
    If you already has a Benz I would make use of their exchange program to move higher up the latter.

To me it sounds as if an LP-S would be the perfect fit for you. I have heard it many times and it is probably my next cartridge-upgrade. I am currently running a Lyra Delos & Benz Ruby Z. The Benz is the best of the two to my ears: Lyra Delos plays hifi where as the Benz plays music.
    Thanks but I think the LP-S is out of my league, that's a bit of a jump from a Glider.

I'm phil.

I use the hana sl and for me it’s a giant killer, l had a Benz karat d2, and find the hana all round better. I’d like to hear the new ml they now have.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post

1+
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm mark.

If you really like the Benz, Art 9 may not be for you. I had Benz Ace L and moved it on fairly quickly. Art 9 is my staple go to cart.

I would add Shelter 501 to the list.

I'm John.

If anybody has a well used or damaged Shelter 501 they may want to sell on, I am interested in any that may be offered.

I'm Mike.

Another Big fan of the Hana SL here. Very even handed, doesn't favour any frequencies and just seems to get out of the way.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    If you really like the Benz, Art 9 may not be for you. I had Benz Ace L and moved it on fairly quickly. Art 9 is my staple go to cart.

I would add Shelter 501 to the list.
    Interesting, thanks Mark. What didn't you like about the Benz? I've owned AT carts previously and enjoyed them, the Benz was the first cart where things seemed to come together and nothing seemed to be missing.

I forgot to put DV carts on the list as well, another I've never heard anything from aside from a shonky old 10x5 that was well past its best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast