+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dual 701 fully automatic direct drive turntable

montesquieu Guest

Default Dual 701 fully automatic direct drive turntable

My old black-plinthed Garrard 401 has made its way back to me for use in my second system, so I’m selling my Dual 701. The 701 was Dual’s top of the line model on its release, and hides some high-end technology underneath its conventional-looking exterior. The tonearm is surprisingly capable too. This one arrived with me as a 120v model and despite using the step-down transformer that came with it the power supply lasted for only 90 seconds before fading away. Power supply failure is common with these models, but since I liked what I heard in those 90 seconds, I took it to John Caswell who serviced the power supply and also converted the mains transformer to 240v. It’s now running perfectly and the buyer can have confidence that this 701 won’t suffer from power supply failure any time soon.

From my small collection of classic MMs I fitted a Pickering V15 cartridge on it, this has an original Pickering elliptical stylus on it, which itself is somewhat rare. The lid is complete and in very good condition (very few marks or scratches) though there is a small crack on the back that doesn’t seem to affect it in normal use.

The Dual comes with the original box and a clutch of paperwork including the original manual. I hate shipping turntables though so this is collection only, price £200 which is crazy cheap for a turntable of this capability. Some enterprising individuals have transplanted the Dual direct drive motor and platter into separate plinths along the lines of Lenco builds - I thought about this but I’m too lazy, the results seem to be worth the effort though.

I'm Alf.

Looks very good value for the money. Link to a plinth project for this deck below

http://unepassionaudiophile.fr/plati...dual-eds-1000/
    Techy SP10 mk 2 playing my Vinyl, Aries G1/Chord TT2/Mscaler doing digital, Ear Pre amp and Sowter powered KT88 SE power amp amplifying and big JBL's presenting a room full of fun

montesquieu Guest

Thanks Alf some great info there not least this:

Well worth dipping into Google translate for the main article https://translate.google.com/transla...al-eds-1000%2F though the pics don't come through when you do that.

montesquieu Guest

now sold

+ Reply to Thread