+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help recognising connectors

I'm Lawrence.

Default Help recognising connectors

Does anyone know what these screw on connectors are? I've got a PSU with them but something goes loose in it occasionally and the amp makes a horrible noise. Would like to get another one made.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

They are known as a Marushin connector, they can be opened by undoing the small grub screw, and then repaired as required.
    They are usually pretty reliable, just make sure the cable is soldered well, heat shrink can be used to insulate and then when finished
    the cable is held firmly at the rear with the clamp.

I'm Alan.

Also the female contacts can be tightened a little by using a strong needle to reduce the diameter slightly, if the connector feels loose when mated.
    Push the needle into the contact hole on the outside of the metal sleeve and bend it inwards slightly.

I'm Edward.

I also expect that only 3 of the 5 pins are actually being used.

Also, as Chris, says worth putting some heatshrink on. In addition to insulation it will help with clamping.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks both I'll have a look. Whenever I buy something with extra pins on the power supply I always like to think that I've got something with a sophisticated PSU with multiple isolated rails but it's probably rarely true!

In this case it's an Iota Audio reference headphone amp so you never know, it could be a true dual mono design. Probably the same as their reference phono stage if anyone knows. The case is big and heavy enough for 2 toroids anyway.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread