+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: Dehumidifier Magic!

  1. #11
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,833
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Got a link to the unit please James .
    Here you go mate. Mine came the next day!

    https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...electriq-cd12p
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  2. #12
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,197
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Interesting. I have a humidity meter in my room and it is usually between 55 and 65 percent. Currently showing 62% but it is a very damp day. Maybe I should get one of these gadgets? House is 118 years old, don't know how old yours is James?
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  3. #13
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,833
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Interesting. I have a humidity meter in my room and it is usually between 55 and 65 percent. Currently showing 62% but it is a very damp day. Maybe I should get one of these gadgets? House is 118 years old, don't know how old yours is James?
    Hi Martin, my house was built on 1866 so fairly old. I never thought it was particularly damp but sometimes I saw condensation on the walls. It also felt a bit cool. The transformation is very noticeable even after 3 days running the dehumidifier. It feels a different atmosphere, dry and much more pleasant. The model I have in the link to Brian also has an air purifier function which also helps. You can set the humidity level you want it to go down too and it switches off automatically when water tank is full.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  4. #14
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 58,378
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    in summer the air is warm so can hold much more water, hence high values. its in mid 60's here at moment and wet outside. Cold air cant hold much moisture so winter is usually much lower. also your central heating is on and dries it even more. Plants scattered around house is a good way to control moisture, along with the dehumidifier. 45/50 is probably your ideal, but unlikely to get it in peak summer months.
    My breathing suffers badly if it gets too high or too low; especially low. you also get lots of static when in low 30s of winter.(I have to touch earth with my stick before touching anything)
    As to your point with audio, there will be changes at certain frequences at different humidity levels, and SoS is also affected. Water vapour is lighter than air so when moist its less dense and thus SoS is faster.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  5. #15
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,197
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Martin, my house was built on 1866 so fairly old. I never thought it was particularly damp but sometimes I saw condensation on the walls. It also felt a bit cool. The transformation is very noticeable even after 3 days running the dehumidifier. It feels a different atmosphere, dry and much more pleasant. The model I have in the link to Brian also has an air purifier function which also helps. You can set the humidity level you want it to go down too and it switches off automatically when water tank is full.
    I'm sold, will order one on Monday. I dry clothes indoors so will help with that even if nothing else. If you had condensation on the walls it sounds like you definitely needed one.


    I'll report back on any SQ differences.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  6. #16
    Join Date: May 2011

    Location: Glasgow

    Posts: 7,240
    I'm Brian.

    Default

    Thanks mate , think I'll treat myself to one of these too
    Regards
    Brian

    Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )


    Korus Computer Audio music server .
    DAC 3 French DAC
    Amplifier : Rega Brio R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Chord Epic Twin

  7. #17
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 41,102
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    If you play records, you may find a dry atmosphere encourages static. Not necessarily a good thing.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  8. #18
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,833
    I'm James.

    Default

    I agree too low humidity does encourage static. However my static has reduced considerably the closer I get too 60% humidity. I was over 65%.

    There must be an optimum level for humidity as there is for room temperature which is about 21oC. Cartridge suspension material is calibrated at this temperature.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  9. #19
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 58,378
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Static only bothers me here when i get around 40 and lower. I try to keep it about 45 in winter. Today its rained all day but temp in house is about normal 22/23c and humidity around 58/65 depending on which metre i believe. breathing today at that level is good and sounds from stereo are fine.
    not sure if you will distiguish much change with 5 or 10% change but you might
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  10. #20
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 20,859
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    in summer the air is warm so can hold much more water, hence high values. its in mid 60's here at moment and wet outside. Cold air cant hold much moisture so winter is usually much lower. also your central heating is on and dries it even more. Plants scattered around house is a good way to control moisture, along with the dehumidifier. 45/50 is probably your ideal, but unlikely to get it in peak summer months.
    My breathing suffers badly if it gets too high or too low; especially low. you also get lots of static when in low 30s of winter.(I have to touch earth with my stick before touching anything)
    As to your point with audio, there will be changes at certain frequences at different humidity levels, and SoS is also affected. Water vapour is lighter than air so when moist its less dense and thus SoS is faster.
    True, but the change is much smaller than you would think:



    At 20 degC the change is negligable. Even with a change of humidity from 0% to 100% the speed of sound at 20 degC shanges from 343.5m/s to 344.8m/s, a change of less than 0.4%.




    I would put the perceived improvements in SQ down to the atmosphere being more comfortable for the listener, and so the experience is more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-08-2019 at 14:48.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •