+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier Magic!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Got a link to the unit please James .
    Here you go mate. Mine came the next day!

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...electriq-cd12p
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Interesting. I have a humidity meter in my room and it is usually between 55 and 65 percent. Currently showing 62% but it is a very damp day. Maybe I should get one of these gadgets? House is 118 years old, don't know how old yours is James?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Interesting. I have a humidity meter in my room and it is usually between 55 and 65 percent. Currently showing 62% but it is a very damp day. Maybe I should get one of these gadgets? House is 118 years old, don't know how old yours is James?
    Hi Martin, my house was built on 1866 so fairly old. I never thought it was particularly damp but sometimes I saw condensation on the walls. It also felt a bit cool. The transformation is very noticeable even after 3 days running the dehumidifier. It feels a different atmosphere, dry and much more pleasant. The model I have in the link to Brian also has an air purifier function which also helps. You can set the humidity level you want it to go down too and it switches off automatically when water tank is full.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Grant.

in summer the air is warm so can hold much more water, hence high values. its in mid 60's here at moment and wet outside. Cold air cant hold much moisture so winter is usually much lower. also your central heating is on and dries it even more. Plants scattered around house is a good way to control moisture, along with the dehumidifier. 45/50 is probably your ideal, but unlikely to get it in peak summer months.
    My breathing suffers badly if it gets too high or too low; especially low. you also get lots of static when in low 30s of winter.(I have to touch earth with my stick before touching anything)
    As to your point with audio, there will be changes at certain frequences at different humidity levels, and SoS is also affected. Water vapour is lighter than air so when moist its less dense and thus SoS is faster.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Martin, my house was built on 1866 so fairly old. I never thought it was particularly damp but sometimes I saw condensation on the walls. It also felt a bit cool. The transformation is very noticeable even after 3 days running the dehumidifier. It feels a different atmosphere, dry and much more pleasant. The model I have in the link to Brian also has an air purifier function which also helps. You can set the humidity level you want it to go down too and it switches off automatically when water tank is full.
    I'm sold, will order one on Monday. I dry clothes indoors so will help with that even if nothing else. If you had condensation on the walls it sounds like you definitely needed one.

I'll report back on any SQ differences.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brian.

Thanks mate , think I'll treat myself to one of these too
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Geoff.

If you play records, you may find a dry atmosphere encourages static. Not necessarily a good thing.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

I agree too low humidity does encourage static. However my static has reduced considerably the closer I get too 60% humidity. I was over 65%.

There must be an optimum level for humidity as there is for room temperature which is about 21oC. Cartridge suspension material is calibrated at this temperature.

I'm Grant.

Static only bothers me here when i get around 40 and lower. I try to keep it about 45 in winter. Today its rained all day but temp in house is about normal 22/23c and humidity around 58/65 depending on which metre i believe. breathing today at that level is good and sounds from stereo are fine.
    not sure if you will distiguish much change with 5 or 10% change but you might
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    in summer the air is warm so can hold much more water, hence high values. its in mid 60's here at moment and wet outside. Cold air cant hold much moisture so winter is usually much lower. also your central heating is on and dries it even more. Plants scattered around house is a good way to control moisture, along with the dehumidifier. 45/50 is probably your ideal, but unlikely to get it in peak summer months.
    My breathing suffers badly if it gets too high or too low; especially low. you also get lots of static when in low 30s of winter.(I have to touch earth with my stick before touching anything)
    As to your point with audio, there will be changes at certain frequences at different humidity levels, and SoS is also affected. Water vapour is lighter than air so when moist its less dense and thus SoS is faster.
    True, but the change is much smaller than you would think:

At 20 degC the change is negligable. Even with a change of humidity from 0% to 100% the speed of sound at 20 degC shanges from 343.5m/s to 344.8m/s, a change of less than 0.4%.

I would put the perceived improvements in SQ down to the atmosphere being more comfortable for the listener, and so the experience is more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-08-2019 at 14:48.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast