Over the last week I have been dehumidifying my house especially the downstairs rooms and have been pouring away litres and litres of water. The machine I have is particularly good with a digital readout of the humidity level reached and it purifies the air at the same time.
I have been using the machine as I have an old house which although not damp does get a bit more condensation build up than a modern house.

The unexpected side effect I have found bringing down the humidity has been the uplift in sound quality from my system. It is not subtle and has left me speechless and mystified. Maybe my system had small levels of moisture in it especially the speakers, maybe the drier atmosphere has made a difference but all I can say the difference is remarkable. The level of clarity across the board is literally like remove earplugs or taking a blanket off the speakers!!

As with all things hifi you just don't know what things can always affect it and as always "everything matters" but reducing humidity was not one I expected to make a difference.

The dehumidifier cost £80 delivered and has given my system an unexpected boost in SQ which would probably have costed way more if I had spent it on another cartridge, cable or piece of equipment so it has been an amazing good value upgrade if not an unusual one in the world of hifi.