+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier Magic!

I'm Martin.

I was thinking that in a damper atmosphere air will have more resistance so drive units will not move as quickly?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was thinking that in a damper atmosphere air will have more resistance so drive units will not move as quickly?
    I am sure speaker companies have done work to evaluate this?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

You'd think so but it is really hard to find any info/data on line.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Dry air is denser than moist air, though again the effect is very small:

Barry

I'm James.

Any information on how sound waves are affected by air density?

I know its not scientific but I can feel the difference dry air has compared to moist humid air. So if I can actually feel a difference then it must have a difference on soundwaves and therefore timing etc...

Speaker manufactures do go to great lengths to engineer their speakers in order that the drive units reproduce music that is time aligned. I think Wilson audio has done a lot of work here.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Just out of interest I googles affect of humidity on sound waves and there are hundreds of articles stating that it does with drier air absorbing soundwaves more than humid air which i though would have been the reverse but when you are talking about particles science then the molecules that make up air are complex and all have different densities etc.

I'm James.

Here is just one interesting article.

https://www.soundproofcow.com/impact...oom-acoustics/

I'm Martin.

Well I've ordered a de-humidifier/air purifier and one of the fancy digital temperature/humidity monitor things as well. See how it goes.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Any information on how sound waves are affected by air density?

I know its not scientific but I can feel the difference dry air has compared to moist humid air. So if I can actually feel a difference then it must have a difference on soundwaves and therefore timing etc...

Speaker manufactures do go to great lengths to engineer their speakers in order that the drive units reproduce music that is time aligned. I think Wilson audio has done a lot of work here.
    The speed of sound in a material varies inversly as the square root of the material density. The density of air in turn depends on both the temperature and the relative humidity of the air, but the dependence is small as shown in the figures I have cited in previous posts.

I still maintain that the improvement you perceive in SQ is down to you feeling more comfortable, rather than to any changes in the acoustic propagation of the air.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

If you want a seriously good dehumidifer try the Meaco ones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meaco-20L-E...gateway&sr=8-3

Pricey though, but great for drying clothes if there's no other way. OTOH a clothes line in a very windy spot is also good for clothes, providing it doesn't rain and the birds keep away.

We also have a much smaller and cheaper Peltier effect unit which is next to useless. It might just freshen rooms up a little bit, but very hard to be sure - like some tweaks to hi-fi!
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast