+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IC: Yaqin SD-CD3 Valve buffer (6SN7 model)

I'm Lawrence.

Default IC: Yaqin SD-CD3 Valve buffer (6SN7 model)

Another of my nice things that have been boxed up for months but I thought I'd give it a whirl before I list and I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing...

This really smoothes the sound out, it sounds a bit flat initially but once it's warmed up it gives a lovely "octal" glow to the music. (I'm a big Octal fan which is why I bought this over every other buffer out there, I did like the MF X10v3 but this does something different). At the time I was going through a vintage CD player experimental period but then when I decided to stick to a modern smooth NOS DAC (a Metrum IIRC) I put this away and didn't try it again until now.

If I sell it, it will be for £95 collected from N London as it's boxed with about 100 hours on it. Postage can be arranged at buyer's risk.

I'll be selling it with the stock Chinese tubes but just experimenting with it now as you can see with my Black Treasure CV181s (which I'm keeping!!). It has a silver valve protection gubbins that I had to remove to fit in the BTs but of course this will be put back on. I will post another photo once this is a sales thread.

I can supply some vintage 6SN7s to the buyer for an additional charge if they don't already have any, and I do strongly recommend this to get the best out of it.

I understand that these can be modded to sound even better, I'm not sure if our Firebottle is familiar with this model but I'm sure I've seem him mentioned in the past regarding some Yaqin product, it might have been the phono stage (which I also own and it's also excellent!).

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Wayne.

PM inccoming

I'm Lawrence.

Hi Wayne thanks for your message, sorry it's an interest check at the moment as I want to try it with my new DAC and speakers before I move it on. You've got first dibs now anyway!

Thanks Lawrence

PS your inbox is full hence the reply on here.

I'm Wayne.

Cheers, inbox cleared now.

I'm Lawrence.

Cheers message was as above anyway.

I have to admit it sounded pretty good last night after a good warm up, in the past I've judged it on the first 30 minutes so I might have been a bit unfair on it. Also my new Ratheon VT231 valves give it a bit more get up and go than before I'm sure. Although those black treasures were magical.

Been trying my DHT pre out since to decide whether to finally let it go. It's wonderful but I'm not sure it adds enough to the equation to be worth me keeping it. It outclasses most of my system and won't be performing to its best.

I'm Lawrence.

I'm going to try my TDS buffer later and one or the other should be going shortly...

I'm Lawrence.

Sorry looks like I'll be holding onto this a bit longer. Once it warms up it adds a lovely smoothness to the sound while still letting the detail through. You do need to use NOS valves though.

I'm Wayne.

Tell me more about which valves you’ve tried and what you’ve found. The

I'm Lawrence.

I've tried the following:

Electro Harmonix Gold pins - rather bland but I didn't give it long enough to warm up so it's not fair to criticise.

Sylvania glossy black T plates (branded Baldwin organs) - using now good value all rounder should suit most systems.

Raytheon VT231 military grade - very detailed and a bit bright, need to be used with the right equipment but could then be very good. I'll go back to these in a while.

Shuguang CV181-Z Black Treasure - very smooth rich sound, not one for those who like a fast light sound but I suspect this is where I'll end up.

I'm Lawrence.

Had the Sylvanias in for a few days now, no rush to take them out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast