+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analogue tape versus vinyl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Charlie.

Default Analogue tape versus vinyl

My master tape collection has been growing steadily over time. This means that I now have quite a few albums on LP and tape. Recently I purchased a production master of Dusty in Memphis. For a bit of fun I compared this 15 IPS master on an Otari MTR12 against my vinyl set up - Platine Verdier with 2 tonearms - Schroeder Reference/Allaerts MC1B and a 1970s vintage Hadccock 228/ JW rebuilt Decca C4E.

I have a 45 RPM Analog Productions copy of Dusty in Memphis, which allowed me to compare the master tape to 2 cart/tonearm combinations side by side. So which cartridge sounded more like the master tape?

The Decca won by a long way. The Allaerts sounded lovely - spacious, tonally richer - some might say very attractive. But the Decca sounded much more like the master tape. OK the Decca was narrower and shallower in sound stage, as well as missing some of the harmonics, which gave the tape more texture. But the Decca was pretty close.

R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm James.

Thats an interesting evaluation Charlie. I have long been a fan of the Decca cartridge and your comparison shows it still produces an excellent quality of sound, close to the master tape.

What aspects of the Decca do you think help achieve this. Speed, dynamics or something else?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What aspects of the Decca do you think help achieve this. Speed, dynamics or something else?
    Speed and dynamics yes - but also the naturalness of the tonal balance. Some might say that the Decca sound dry, but it's job is to replicate the music.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Speed and dynamics yes - but also the naturalness of the tonal balance. Some might say that the Decca sound dry, but it's job is to replicate the music.
    The deccas I tried sounded like they were trying to exhaust my tweeters.

Glad you had better results.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The deccas I tried sounded like they were trying to exhaust my tweeters.

Glad you had better results.
    You didn't manage to get them set-up right then, or maybe they were knackered.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    You didn't manage to get them set-up right then, or maybe they were knackered.
    What, both of them?

Unlikely.

I actually thought the blue was broken. Returned it to the owner and he said "No, it's meant to sound like that" lol.

Sold the Decca Gold, it was worse than the Blue IMO.

I also doubt setup was an issue either. I'm not exactly a novice at it.

Just weren't my cup of tea.

I'm Patrick.

I like my Deccas. Maybe the Decca in the Schroeder would be better than the tape ;-)

Looks like your Decca is tail high, or is that just an illusion? I am currently playing with an SC4E in a Hadcock 242 and wondering if it sounded better before I made it more level.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I like my Deccas. Maybe the Decca in the Schroeder would be better than the tape ;-)

Looks like your Decca is tail high, or is that just an illusion? I am currently playing with an SC4E in a Hadcock 242 and wondering if it sounded better before I made it more level.
    Patrick,

The angle is just an illusion. The VTA has been adjusted by ear over quite a while and it's a tiny bit tail up (but not very much). The wide angle lens on the iPhone exaggerates it.

Charlie

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes the Mk. IV Deccas were some of the best cartridges Decca made. I have an SC4E, and wouldn't be without it. 'Dusty in Memphis' is a superb recording: a copy of which should be in everyone's collection.
    Barry

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes the Mk. IV Deccas were some of the best cartridges Decca made. I have an SC4E, and wouldn't be without it. 'Dusty in Memphis' is a superb recording: a copy of which should be in everyone's collection.
    Barry, it is indeed a fabulous recording. The Analogue Productions 45 rpm reissue is really excellent. That's why I chose it for the comparison, as I felt that it was about as good a LP pressing, as one can get.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast