+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Electronumpty's Bigbottle MC phono blowout!

I'm Nathan.

You’ve done a good job there Andy! it’s given me the boost I needed to get on with mine.
    I tried doing my build slightly cheaper and ordered an R-core transformer from eBay. I couldn’t get the correct voltages from it neither could a friend who builds his own amps etc. It put a right damper on it for me and I gave up but He advised me to contact the seller and ask for a refund (I did) Now I have a refund I’ve just ordered a transformer from Toroidy.pl so I could do with getting on with the rest of it before it arrives.
    Glad it's up and running mate. Enjoy!
    Last edited by nuff; 21-02-2020 at 20:19.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Thanks , I'm feeling really chuffed about it and its sounding pretty good already so we'll see what its like burnt in. Tbh I did have a couple of ffs moments but it's worth the effort if you can get through it. If you really don't want to stress out buy a case , don't make one!
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Oh yes I found Toroidy pretty efficient so you shouldn't have to wait long for the tx.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
    Like it - good work
    Thanks! Need to sort the cover now.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Thanks , I'm feeling really chuffed about it and its sounding pretty good already so we'll see what its like burnt in. Tbh I did have a couple of ffs moments but it's worth the effort if you can get through it. If you really don't want to stress out buy a case , don't make one!
    Cases are so expensive. The 1 I like is the same as what Oli used but it’s £80 I’ll probably go for that 1 though. I haven’t time to be making 1.

I'm Nathan.

What cable are you using for the sockets? That was my next step. Cable AWG and make.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

So some observations I made about the sound so far -

So some initial impressions of the BB . First caveat is that I cannot compare to any stages costing more than £200 as I have never heard any, second is that my reference is to a Firebottle OTP which I have had for a few years and enjoyed immensely during that time , cost about £220 if I recall correctly.

Also these comments are only after 5/6 hours listening so I imagine there is more to come , but I like listening to kit as it beds in and seeing the difference as the sound develops.

1st thing I noticed was the extension on cymbals, after the hit the decay wwas long and gradual, they really shimmered when listening the Bonzo on Zep 4.

Second immediate standout was the presence and immediacy of the sound , the closest I can describe is almost like a wall of sound. Now this is something that I quite like but took me by surprise. However as things progessed this wall gave way to much more defined detail but still had that immediacy and presence.

As it played the soundstage became deeper as tike went on, very 3D to me, almost made the OTP sound flat, 2D in comparison, it isn’t, but there’s a very noticable difference in depth.

Next was the tone, I don’t have much experience of valve kit but I imagine this is largely down to what ones are being used. Rich and crunchy guitars, natural vocals where you can hear the intake of breath and slight modulations in notes that weren’t there beforehand. Another factor of detal developing.

Bass was slightly recessed at first and the lower registers not really hitting, but I have had this with Mundorf caps before in the DCB1 so wasn’t worried, true to form by the 3rd album it was starting to come on stronger , still a bit to develop I think but its early days.

Playing some Elton John the piano sounds really natural and on tracks like Crocodile Rock the boogie factor really comes through which is great.

As an example of detail, on Zep 4 the more rocky tracks have a great and full guitar sound quite particular to that Zep album. Heard before the 2 channels L and R sound like 2 different guiters playing the same/similar riffs. Now they are, but what I can pick out now is that often they are both in different keys (not a musician but thats the impression I get) and also playing differnt licks and notes to add to the overall effect. Quite complex but not apparent to me so obviously before.

Finally when I say the music has more presence it’s not bloated or forced in any way, it still sounds very natural.

More soon but very pleased so far , good job Oliver and Alan!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post
    What cable are you using for the sockets? That was my next step. Cable AWG and make.
    Hi pm sent with link ,

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Hi pm sent with link ,

Thanks Andy!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Tisied up the wiring and added an earth to the top plate. Need a dry day to drill the valve holes for the cover but its all working now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast