+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HDMI cable for USB

I'm William.

Default HDMI cable for USB

Hi Guys

My question really relates to the quality of HDMI cable against that of a USB cable. HDMI cables seem to me on the face of it to be better quality and not only that they seem to be in longer lengths. The construction appears to be thicker and more robust. YEs I agree appearances can be deceptive and I know that they carry video as well. If HDMI adapters are available that would convert HDMI so that could be plugged into the computer USB at one end an the DAC at the other would the result be better than a USB cable.

Has anybody tried it? If so what was the result

Regards to all

I'm James.

If such a thing were possible you would still be using a USB cable to connect to the converter box, negating any improvement such a converter would make. If you really want to make an improved connection to a DAC, look into direct connection to it's I2S bus. If you want long cable runs, stick with coaxial S/PDIF.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Lawrence.

Does AES/EBU work best for long cables runs, if you have the option?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Does AES/EBU work best for long cables runs, if you have the option?
    It's essentially a pro audio version of S/PDIF. It has better, more robust connectors but the protocol is the same. It doesn't really have any advantage in a home setup TBH.

Usher Compass X-719

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegger68 View Post
    It's essentially a pro audio version of S/PDIF. It has better, more robust connectors but the protocol is the same. It doesn't really have any advantage in a home setup TBH.
    I thought the principles behind balanced cables might work in this too. Maybe zeros and ones don't need the same +/- connections as analogue.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I thought the principles behind balanced cables might work in this too. Maybe zeros and ones don't need the same +/- connections as analogue.
    Digital transfer only requires that a 1 or 0 is received - the signal bandwidth and/or line noise aren't important until almost total saturation of the digital data occurs. AES/EBU certaily screens better (useful in an electrically noisy studio or concert venue) but it doesn't do anything to improve sound at all.

Now, having said that it's also fair to say that some older or less well designed DACs can allow line noise from a digital source to creep into the analogue side of the device. This is just poor design, but if you are affected then a screened cable may help, but it just prevents RFI being transmitted into the cable when the most likely issue would be noise through the line from the source. One of the best reasons to use fiber connections is to circumvent this issue

Usher Compass X-719

+ Reply to Thread