+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HDMI cables are all the same?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    If you can see/hear the difference then spend the money, if you can't see/hear the difference then you've saved yourself a packet.

Never seen any point in telling people what they can and can't see and hear...
    "Many a true word ...." I'm inclined to agree.
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Personally, I have never tried to compare different HDMI leads, though I have only ever spent sensible money on one, employing the "buy cheap, buy twice" principle. If people are seeing differences when "technically" there shouldn't be any I won't argue. If someone can explain categorically how black holes work and how the universe began then I might be prepared to believe that science has the answer to everything, but until then I'll remain open-minded. Placebo effect could easily be the answer, but not the absolute undisputed truth in my view.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Grant.

Lots of differences in hdmi everything quite frankly. It's a minefield. Cables are no different. If it was just 1 0 0 1 etc then pretty much all digital stuff would be the same... And it really ain't.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    I was having a discussion on another thread regarding HDMI and why there is no difference between a cable costing say £5 and one costing £1000 as long as you are using the correct spec cable for the system you have (1080p, 4K, 8K). It seem there are those who even now say they can see differences like better colour, clarity etc. This is purely placebo effect and nothing to do with the cable.
    In your humble opinion, Barry. Others who hear (and think) differently, based on their experience, are of course entitled to their contrary opinion, regardless of what 'evidence' suggests.

Please remember that AoS is strictly (and staunchly) an 'ears first' subjectivist forum, and so priority will always be given to what folks report they hear ('imagined' or otherwise), over what is measured - and threads that go out of their way to arrogantly pooh-pooh the former, because the latter appears to disprove it (I'm not saying you're doing this here, though) will always be given short shrift, as they invariably end in acrimony.

Therefore, please bear that in mind, and also that this thread will be strictly moderated on that basis. Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Have to admit that I'm not really bothered about picture quality as long as I can see what is going on. I use an HDMI I bought years ago second hand and I've never done any comparisons or read up about the technology or any tests that have been done on HDMI. Are there any studies where people have been asked to distinguish between HDMI cables in controlled conditions and failed to do so? If so linking to them would back up your argument, otherwise it is just gainsaying.
    I linked to an artical on Cnet.

Here is another:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...-worth-buying/

You can link to as many articles from 'experts' as you like. It doesn't categorically disprove what people hear.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In your humble opinion, Barry. Others who hear (and think) differently, based on their experience, are of course entitled to their contrary opinion, regardless of what 'evidence' suggests.

Please remember that AoS is strictly (and staunchly) an 'ears first' subjectivist forum, and so priority will always be given to what folks report they hear ('imagined' or otherwise), over what is measured - and threads that go out of their way to arrogantly pooh-pooh the former, because the latter appears to disprove it (I'm not saying you're doing this here, though) will always be given short shrift, as they invariably end in acrimony.

Therefore, please bear that in mind, and also that this thread will be strictly moderated on that basis. Cheers!

Marco.
    Hi Maro, Audio is subjectivist Video is not.

I'm barry.

You can link to as many articles as you like. It doesn't categorically disprove what people hear.

Marco.
    This is about video Marco, Video has standards, unlike audio.

Here is just a very short clip of one of the Shootouts in New York, in front of Samsung, LG. Panasonic, Sony, and the worlds leading expert calibrators ( Kevin Miller, DeWayne Davis, David Mackenzie, joe kane) who are physically able to measure picture quality. I attended the UK version, and was involved in the early NY shootouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNeJUcYqx64

It still doesn't matter. It's not definitive proof of anything. There is no 'proof' you could post here that would categorically dismiss someone's subjective listening experience.

The fact is, is someone hears differences with HDMI cables, or anything else for that matter in hi-fi, then *to them* those differences are real. End of.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm barry.

It still doesn't matter. It's not definitive proof of anything. There is no 'proof' you could post here that would categorically dismiss someone's subjective listening experience.

The fact is, is someone hears differences with HDMI cables, or anything else for that matter in hi-fi, then *to them* those differences are real. End of.

Marco.
    Your keep saying hearing, seeing is different mate. PQ can be measured against industry standards that all production companies use (BBC, ITV, Hollywood, and all the rest).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast