+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HDMI cables are all the same?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Stop posting words such as "cold hard facts", when said 'facts' simply aren't conclusive, or perhaps even relevant, in relation to this subject (and people's experiences of it), or it will be deleted. Any more of that, and you'll be out for a week.

Have you read the Ethos of this site? If not, I suggest you do, especially from post 5 onwards: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...asics-of-Ethos

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    So let's get this right, as long as I say that you might see a difference that's OK, but if I say and prove in a way some will understand who are not experts in the field as fact then the thread will be closed. You guys are trying to lump video in with audio, audio can be highly subjective but is a different entity all together. Which you are failing to understand.
    Taking a bit of flak here Barry!
    Don't let it get to you mate it's all friendly.

First up,
    Video quality is important to me.
    Trying to play the "can't we all just get along" card, just this once, I'll put forward this, and ask you to have a think about it.

Some people prefer a brighter picture on their TVs, others turn the colour up to make it look "richer", because it's their preference.
    That's the subjective part?

Conversely: There are facts that are facts...that are facts...as I think your alluding to.

For myself, OLED was a gamechanger.
    Some things are just better.
    I've had mine ISF calibrated and yup, the pictures better for the calibration.
    After calibration though, I was presented with a choice of 3 profiles, to accommodate my preferences, which I found interesting.

So I hear you on the picture calibration and standards.
    Video quality and preference is subjective just as with audio IMO.
    For music..."Is it like I am i sitting at the recording desk listening to this?" or "Feels like I am in the 4th row at a live gig!", usually works.

But...there's no universally subjectively preferred way (by all) of viewing video.
    Again, that's the subjective part...

Can't really say it's unfair to say that colour grading in movies can completely change the experience of seeing the same film?
    How many "Director's cuts" and anniversary reissues were put out where the picture was messed about with (grain removed, colours enhanced, DNR applied...etc) to outcry by the "purists"?
    Crikey, just look at the Star Wars reissues with updated SFX!

but I'd ask the question - One can say this is the best picture because its "calibrated" - But I'd ask...the best to whom?
    Only thing that matters to ME is how something performs...in my room...with my eyes...with my equipment.

No disrespect, but have to disagree with you one important point:
    Its my opinion that Video IS subjective - just like audio!
    It's the brain interpreting inputs, thats all it is. Same with music.

My point, if there is one , is that the calibrated "standard" was created by people who CHOSE those settings,I'd ask you to contrast that with the nebulous concept of "artistic vision", bringing in aspects like colour grading, cinematography and the like.

And interestingly...and to your point...
    Trying out different HDMI cables and finally settling on the "one" for me with my AV kit, I was able to clearly see these differences - and the differences the way different HDMI cables presented them.

...for the record.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 09-08-2019 at 15:09.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    You see that chart mate, any difference in colour it moves, switching HDMI it stays the same. That is not science but cold hard fact and not my view either, it is the law of colour.
    Colour,
    viewed differently by different eyes, depending on age, eye health and a zillion other things.
    Understand what I'm meaning, again, not with any disrespect to your views.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Now *that* is the type of input, founded upon extensive personal (subjective) experience, which I'd take notice of far more than the views of any expert, no matter how 'factual', simply because as you rightly say:

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam
    Only thing that matters to ME is how something performs...in my room...with my eyes...with my equipment.
    Me too. And I suspect that that thinking applies to the vast majority of us here!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm barry.

So let us say you had a newbie join here, keen as mustard to spend ex amount of pounds on an HDMI cable, you guys are going to say go for it as it will make a difference?

I'm Geoff.

Well how far would he get without one?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Stop posting words such as "cold hard facts", when said 'facts' simply aren't conclusive, or perhaps even relevant, in relation to this subject (and people's experiences of it), or it will be deleted. Any more of it, and you're out for a week.

Have you read the Ethos of this site? If not, I suggest you do, especially from post 5 onwards: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...asics-of-Ethos

Marco.
    Maco, that is geared towards Audio which is highly subjective, video and video standards are not.

I'm Grant.

no, its geared to THIS SITE.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Taking a bit of flak here Barry!
    Don't let it get to you mate it's all friendly.

First up,
    Video quality is important to me.
    Trying to play the "can't we all just get along" card, just this once, I'll put forward this, and ask you to have a think about it.

Some people prefer a brighter picture on their TVs, others turn the colour up to make it look "richer", because it's their preference.
    That's the subjective part?

Conversely: There are facts that are facts...that are facts...as I think your alluding to.

For myself, OLED was a gamechanger.
    Some things are just better.
    I've had mine ISF calibrated and yup, the pictures better for the calibration.
    After calibration though, I was presented with a choice of 3 profiles, to accommodate my preferences, which I found interesting.

So I hear you on the picture calibration and standards.
    Video quality and preference is subjective just as with audio IMO.
    For music..."Is it like I am i sitting at the recording desk listening to this?" or "Feels like I am in the 4th row at a live gig!", usually works.

But...there's no universally subjectively preferred way (by all) of viewing video.
    Again, that's the subjective part...

Can't really say it's unfair to say that colour grading in movies can completely change the experience of seeing the same film?
    How many "Director's cuts" and anniversary reissues were put out where the picture was messed about with (grain removed, colours enhanced, DNR applied...etc) to outcry by the "purists"?
    Crikey, just look at the Star Wars reissues with updated SFX!

but I'd ask the question - One can say this is the best picture because its "calibrated" - But I'd ask...the best to whom?

No disrespect, but have to disagree with you one important point:
    Its my opinion that Video IS subjective - just like audio!
    It's the brain interpreting inputs, thats all it is. Same with music.

My point, if there is one , is that the calibrated "standard" was created by people who CHOSE those settings,I'd ask you to contrast that with the nebulous concept of "artistic vision", bringing in aspects like colour grading, cinematography and the like.

And interestingly...and to your point...
    Trying out different HDMI cables and finally settling on the "one" for me with my AV kit, I was able to clearly see these differences - and the differences the way different HDMI cables presented them.

...for the record.
    Can I ask who did the calibration and why you had it done please?

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    no, its geared to THIS SITE.
    So again I ask if a newbie comes along and is going to pay say £100 for an HDMI cable the guys on here are going to say go for it as you will clearly see a difference?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast