+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HDMI cables are all the same?

I'm Chris.

Measurements are a really good starting point. However beyond that things get more and more subjective.

The facts are that all signals digital and analogue are susceptible to interference, RFI, resistance, capacitance etc (much less digital of course). Therefore some types of cables must be better at preserving the signal and able to present the amp/DAC/decoder with a stronger/less degraded signal (even if not measurable with our current technology). Of course here there are huge differences between digital and analogue signals but the principal is the same.

Even if the signal that exits from one end is measurably identical to the one that entered (and I completely understand the stance of *if it measures the same it is the same* even if I don't agree) I won't rule out that something could cause the actual picture/sound/information to be presented differently to our eyes/ears.

The way those key senses interact with our brains is still not fully understood.

Anyway I'm getting a bit philosophical/cosmic now but its an interesting debate as ever.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good post, Chris. Exactly my position on these matters!

Too many folks place their trust in so-called 'experts', rather than in their own eyes or ears.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No you haven't, and it isn't.

I know what I can hear (and see, in reference to picture quality with 'fancy' HDMI cables, which completely flies in the face of your 'evidence'), and I don't give a toss what the videos you've posted supposedly 'prove'. Therefore, please stop presenting your views as fact, or the thread will be closed, as it currently serves no purpose other than to make you feel better about yourself.

Marco.
    Erm excuse me, where have I said or done anything wrong. You won't allow me to put my point over and because I have you will close the thread. These are not my views these are facts but you are not going to let me post them? It might help if you would provide evidence to the contrary or tell my why you feel there is a difference?

Perhaps if I say this, for example there is an easy test pattern for colour gamut, measuring this with a Klein K10 A colorimeter on a tv and then replacing the HDMI on the same TV with a different (more expensive one) will show no difference in colour points right through the range if there was these points would change.

https://www.kleininstruments.com/k10-a

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie; 09-08-2019 at 13:47.

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    Erm excuse me, where have I said or done anything wrong. You won't allow me to put my point over and because I have you will close the thread.
    No, your views are as welcome as those of anyone else, as long as you don't try and present them as fact, in an attempt to dismiss the perfectly valid views of those who's opinions clash with your 'facts'.

Do you understand that?

AoS is a staunchly subjectivist forum, therefore staunchly objectivist views aren't welcome here. If you don't get that, then I suggest you find another site to post on where such views are welcome, and where you can post your 'proof videos' until your heart's content. Simples!

Here we concern ourselves more with what people experience, not what science measures.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm barry.

No, your views are as welcome as those of anyone else, as long as you don't try and present them as fact, in an attempt to dismiss the perfectly valid views of those who's opinions clash with your 'facts'.

Do you understand that?

AoS is a staunchly subjectivist forum, therefore staunchly objectivist views aren't welcome here. If you don't get that, then I suggest you find another site to post on where such views are welcome, and where you can post your 'proof videos' until your heart's content. Simples!

Here we concern ourselves more with what people experience, not what science measures.

Marco.
    So let's get this right, as long as I say that you might see a difference that's OK, but if I say and prove in a way some will understand who are not experts in the field as fact then the thread will be closed. You guys are trying to lump video in with audio, audio can be highly subjective but is a different entity all together. Which you are failing to understand.

I'm barry.

Good post, Chris. Exactly my position on these matters!

Too many folks place their trust in so-called 'experts', rather than in their own eyes or ears.

Marco.
    So-called experts. Kevin Miller, the top man at ISF. David Mackenzie Hollywood and film authoring expert also ISF qualified, Samsung, LG engineers, and rooms full of leading ISF/THX experts.

I'm not failing to understand anything.

What you need to understand is that you're entitled to express any *opinions* you like, and back them up with whatever you like too, as long as you don't use it to dismiss/pooh-pooh the contrary subjective opinions of others, simply because you think you have evidence to prove them wrong, when in reality it isn't conclusive.

Do you get the difference? I hope so, as I'm fast losing patience explaining it. Most of us here pay little attention to what 'experts' think - we just use our own eyes and ears to form our conclusions on any aspect of audio (or video).

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    So-called experts. Kevin Miller, the top man at ISF. David Mackenzie Hollywood and film authoring expert also ISF qualified, Samsung, LG engineers, and rooms full of leading ISF/THX experts.
    Yes, but if what they state contradicts what I've experienced (and tested myself over years), why should I instantly dismiss my own experiences? That's not how a subjectivist thinks! And that's what 90% of this forum is populated with.

If you're going to survive here, you'll need to grasp that fact.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    You see that chart mate, any difference in colour it moves, switching HDMI it stays the same. That is not science but cold hard fact and not my view either, it is the law of colour.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast