+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HDMI cables are all the same?

I'm barry.

Default HDMI cables are all the same?

I was having a discussion on another thread regarding HDMI and why there is no difference between a cable costing say £5 and one costing £1000 as long as you are using the correct spec cable for the system you have (1080p, 4K, 8K). It seem there are those who even now say they can see differences like better colour, clarity etc. This is purely placebo effect and nothing to do with the cable.
    So, in short, I would never spend more than £10 on a cable, usually much less.

There is a good article on CNet explaining much better than I can.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-all-hd...-are-the-same/

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I haven't noticed any difference in image quality with a number of HDMI leads, one of them having been highly recommended on this forum.
    That said, I haven't bothered with 4K, I'm quite happy with 1080p.

I didn't buy the recommended one - it was in box of unsaleable stuff someone was throwing out.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Hugo.

I have to use HDMI between a BT (Humax) YouView box and the TV, at 1080p. I have three Belkin HDMI cables to hand, varying from cheap to inexpensive, and there is a clear difference in picture quality between them (the 'inexpensive' one is clearly better, with a more natural colour palette to the picture, and better definition). So, in my experience HDMI cables are not all the same, but how you tell whether one is any good before buying is another matter.

I'm Geoff.

It's the same with SPDIF digital audio cables. You'd expect the music to sound the same regardless of which one is used, but there are very clear audible differences between various cabes.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I have to use HDMI between a BT (Humax) YouView box and the TV, at 1080p. I have three Belkin HDMI cables to hand, varying from cheap to inexpensive, and there is a clear difference in picture quality between them (the 'inexpensive' one is clearly better, with a more natural colour palette to the picture, and better definition). So, in my experience HDMI cables are not all the same, but how you tell whether one is any good before buying is another matter.
    There will be no difference, only a placebo effect.

I'm Martin.

Have to admit that I'm not really bothered about picture quality as long as I can see what is going on. I use an HDMI I bought years ago second hand and I've never done any comparisons or read up about the technology or any tests that have been done on HDMI. Are there any studies where people have been asked to distinguish between HDMI cables in controlled conditions and failed to do so? If so linking to them would back up your argument, otherwise it is just gainsaying.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    There will be no difference, only a placebo effect.
    This is incorrect. Apart from anything else there are multiple HDMI standards and some cables cannot maintain a signal over higher bitrates or even get a signal in the first place. I have noticed significant differences between cables.

I'm Gary.

oh yes they can.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 09-08-2019 at 15:45.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Nick.

If you can see/hear the difference then spend the money, if you can't see/hear the difference then you've saved yourself a packet.

Never seen any point in telling people what they can and can't see and hear...
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Gary.

This.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast