Closed Thread
Page 34 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Footie season 2019/2020

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Points taken, Chris, and I agree, although the problems we have unfortunately go much deeper and were also evident against Russia, plus other games before it.

Anyway, could you please answer this post (319) :https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...60#post1120860

This'll be the THIRD time I've asked!

Marco.
    Open your eyes and ye shall find https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...80#post1120880

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - missed it because it was the last post (for me) on that page... Ta, and thanks for the link

We'll see what he's like when he plays, but I suspect he's one for the future.

Marco.

I'm sure Jeremie will prove to be a good signing for Celtic.
    People forget that developing and moving young players on is a part of City's business dealings, and from what I hear it's quite profitable.
    One thing you do know is that Jeremie has had extremely good coaching - the first team coaching staff get involved with the younger players from time to time, and the way the first team plays guides the way the youngsters are coached.

He'll be a very good player - it's down to your lot to bring him on further.
    Chris

Yup, I understand all that, and you're right. I'm sure he will do well, once he's deemed as ready to fight for his place in the first team. We've not had too many 'duds' from Man City, with players such as Guidetti, Denayer, Boyata and Roberts, in recent times all doing not too badly at Celtic!

Marco.

P.S Granty, when you get a chance, I'd appreciate your thoughts on post 328

Yup, I understand all that, and you're right. I'm sure he will do well, once he's deemed as ready to fight for his place in the first team. We've not had too many 'duds' from Man City, with players such as Guidetti, Denayer, Boyata and Roberts, in recent times all doing not too badly at Celtic!

Marco.

P.S Granty, when you get a chance, I'd appreciate your thoughts on post 328
    Duds is seldom the correct term to use.
    As always, it's down to whether the player in question fits in with what the manager/coach wants to see.

Talking of Roberts, he has a day off this coming Saturday.
    Premier League rules say that a loan player cannot play against their "parent" club.
    UEFA take a different view, which is why he played against City for Celtic a few seasons ago.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Duds is seldom the correct term to use.
    As always, it's down to whether the player in question fits in with what the manager/coach wants to see.

Talking of Roberts, he has a day off this coming Saturday.
    Premier League rules say that a loan player cannot play against their "parent" club.
    UEFA take a different view, which is why he played against City for Celtic a few seasons ago.
    Indeed, which is why I used inverted commas. You get my point, though. The players we've had from City were all good to start with, and also went onto become a big success for us. That's no 'happy accident', and reflects well on both City and Celtic.

Lol - it was obviously a sore point for you when UEFA took that view and Roberts scored for us at your ground! TBH, they (both the EPL and UEFA) should agree on one rule and apply it across the board.

Those two games, incidentally, between City and Celtic in the CL were superb, particularly the 3-3 draw at Celtic Park, when it really mattered.

And we've achieved good results in Europe in recent times against other top English sides, which is why I laugh at the 'doom and gloom' merchants (particularly our resident St Johnstone fan, I forget his name), who pops in now and then and goes on about how Celtic (and Rangers) are crap, when judged on a bigger platform, usually after his team have just been gubbed by one or the other.....

Well, clearly not (if you study the stats) when drawn against English opposition in Europe, as we always raise our game accordingly, in order to prove a point! I'll leave you to guess what that point is....

Marco.

I'm Grant.

Which is why I say give some of the good Scottish players in the rest of the SPL (and English leagues) a chance, who don't have the demands of playing for the really big clubs, and may have something to offer and prove to people?

The fact is, if you don't have to worry about Champions League or Europa Cup games, etc, or winning every match, as is the case at the biggest clubs, then outside of playing once a week for your club team (excluding domestic cup competitions), you can devote all of your energies to international matches.

That could certainly make a difference to creating the SPIRIT you mention. Quite simply, you can't have spirit if you're too worried about injuring yourself, for being able to play arguably more important games for your club!

But any such players brought in would have to be good enough, read as at least able to make us more organised and harder to beat. That's our BIGGEST problem/failing at the moment. Forget silky football; we're too much of a soft touch, which is the worst thing of all, considering the type of players we've had in the past, some of whom you've just listed!

The answer to your question about when we last 'bossed' a big team, it would've been our performances against France and Italy, during the Euros in 2007, with the likes of James McFadden. Those were the last days of a proper Scotland team, which had not only skill, but spirit and endeavour. You don't need to go back to the 70s to find a good Scotland team, although unlike back then, we certainly no longer have any world-class players.

Scotland team in France 2007:

Gordon, Hutton, McManus, Weir, Alexander, McCulloch, Ferguson, Fletcher (Pearson 26), Brown, Hartley, McFadden.

A team packed full, not only of skill, but most importantly LEADERS, WINNERS/fighters [both on the pitch and in the dressing room], who had a steely determination not to lose at any cost, and crucially who WANTED to give, and GAVE their all for Scotland, particularly those I've highlighted! And which formed the beating heart of the team. *That* is what we simply don't have now, but which I don't believe doesn't exist or can't be nurtured.

Also in 2013, against England at Wembley... The 3-2 game, and with two spectacular free-kicks scored by YOU KNOW WHO!

Marco.
    faddy was a big game player no doubt, but often didnt turn up for others. was a good player on his game. think when smith had the team he did what he did with rangers laterly in his tenure(thinking europa final etc) and that was making them so stuffy to play against the opposition got irritated and lost shape.. Its not pretty, its mabe not football but it can be effective
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

McLeish was the manager during that campaign, daftee, and for the double over France...

I agree with what you're saying, but there is much more to it than that, which I've ably highlighted. We currently lack players with true leadership qualities and a winning mentality, and which we had in abundance during the era in question, not just in the 70s and 80s. And with the right decisions taken in future, we *can* get that back, and which would improve us.

Btw, have you got something against Leigh Griffiths? It's just that you never make any comment about him whatsoever, anytime he's mentioned.... So what gives, bro? You're also similar towards Scott Brown. You do realise that you need to leave your Rangers-oriented feelings, in that respect, behind when judging players playing for Scotland?

Marco.

I'm Grant.

McLeish was the manager during that campaign, daftee, and for the double over France...

I agree with what you're saying, but there is much more to it than that, which I've ably highlighted. We currently lack players with true leadership qualities and a winning mentality, and which we had in abundance during the era in question, not just in the 70s and 80s. And with the right decisions in future, we *can* get that back.

Btw, have you got something against Lee Griffiths? It's just that you never make any comment about him whatsoever anytime he's mentioned.... So what gives? You're also similar towards Scott Brown. You do realise that you need to leave your Rangers-oriented feelings, in that respect, behind when judging players playing for Scotland?

Marco.
    yes i knew it was big ek. griffiths when his head is right is a good striker, but a even better free kick taker. but he hasnt played much for a long while.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Ok, it was just that you mentioned Walter Smith in the same discussion, although I take your point about him.

Well, that's the first time I've seen you give Griffiths any credit!

Granted he's not been playing much, but he's had more games recently than Naismith, so can you fathom then how Naismith made the squad, yet Griffiths didn't? It makes no sense whatsoever, especially when you need goals, and even a not fully match-sharp Griffiths, coming on as a substitute, would be guaranteed to do more at set pieces than anyone else in the squad!

Marco.

Closed Thread