+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

I'm David.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has installed the CTC bearing and brass platter, or indeed the similar Peak ones - I understand that they used to come from the same supplier but don't now. I think CTC can also do a bronze one which is probably more comparable with the Shindo but that is a "special order" item. I'm trying hard not to spend any money on hi-fi at the moment or I would be able to report on these myself.

David Whistance

I'm Karl.

I think the CTC platter is only 7mm diamter larger so hardly noticable to look at and works fine with a normal bearing, whereas the shindo ones looks really big(too big for my tatses) and probably needs a bigger bearing to cope. Lots of happy reviews with the CTC platter so it must have some merit ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    I think the CTC platter is only 7mm diamter larger so hardly noticable to look at and works fine with a normal bearing, whereas the shindo ones looks really big(too big for my tatses) and probably needs a bigger bearing to cope. Lots of happy reviews with the CTC platter so it must have some merit ???

buy a 5mm tenuto gun metal platter mat you'll get the same results. It's just extra mass and inertia, or fit a 401 motor To your 301 for more torque, swings/roundabouts et al.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Umm I am pretty sure it is not that simple...And moving mass is not the same as mass alone.

I guess the oversized platter will have a significant amount more inertia than just the additional weight that the Tenuto will have...I am sure someone with more maths/physics knowledge than I can explain better...

As for the motors the grease 301 are meant to have a significant amount more torque than the 401 models. If I understand correctly its the shielding that the 401 models improved on.

(Ive just had my 401 Audio Grailed....And have been bothering Matt with a long list of questions...)
    StSt Motus DQ + SME 312 'MB Special'
    Transfix Axia / HM7
    Art Audio Vinyl 1 Ref
    Modified Mac Mini/Weiss DAC 202
    SJS Model 2
    BP P20 (SJS upgraded)
    Trenner and Friedl RA
    [/SIZE]

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Adams View Post
    Umm I am pretty sure it is not that simple...And moving mass is not the same as mass alone.

I guess the oversized platter will have a significant amount more inertia than just the additional weight that the Tenuto will have...I am sure someone with more maths/physics knowledge than I can explain better...

As for the motors the grease 301 are meant to have a significant amount more torque than the 401 models. If I understand correctly its the shielding that the 401 models improved on.

(Ive just had my 401 Audio Grailed....And have been bothering Matt with a long list of questions...)
    Your probably correct TBH I think we are going around in circles (like a platter)!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Karl.

Default Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

Has anybody tried a power supply with theirs? Have read that by lowering the voltage to the motor on the power supplies that you can reduce motor vibrations and noise and improve speed stability , bringing positve results ??

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Clive.

Has anybody tried a power supply with theirs? Have read that by lowering the voltage on one of the power supplies that you can reduce motor vibrations and noise and improve speed stability , bringing positve results ??

Been there....reducing voltage is attractive at first, I used a Variac but then I realised dynamics reduced.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Andrew.

Been down the reducing voltage route. All you need to get the best from a 301/401 motor is a very clean power supply going in. I use a PS Audio P10. Secondly a decent tachometer for platter speed stability I use the Phoenix PSU + Tachometer. No buggering around with variacs, DIY PSU's, fitting light bulbs. If you think your getting vibration from the motor into platter, decouple it.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Adam.

Has anybody tried a power supply with theirs? Have read that by lowering the voltage to the motor on the power supplies that you can reduce motor vibrations and noise and improve speed stability , bringing positve results ??

Had very positive results using a variac on my 401, no loss of dynamics. Took the voltage from 256v to 220v...
    A great tweak for relatively small financial outlay.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Karl.

Thanks guys lots to research and think about. As always with hifi, lots of conflicting views. I was kinda hoping thered be more concrete views on certain products so i could narrow down my options.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast